Chapter 8.5

Natsu: "The Floating Islands are falling..?"

Lathaniel: "No, that's not it. I feel it... the magic in this world... it's vanishing..."

One by one, the one floating islands crashed into the ground.

Natsu: "How does that lead to the islands falling?"

Lathaniel(Edolas): "It's likely the islands were floating because of the magic in this world keeping them floating. Now that all the magic is gone, the islands don't have an energy source to use to keep floating."

A bright yellow stream of magic came out of the ground, floating up into the sky.

Gajeel: "What the?!"

Juvi: "You guys see this too right?"

Lathaniel: "Yeah, and if it's what I think it is, then I was right about the magic vanishing."

Natsu: "You're saying, that the stuff coming out of the ground, is Edolas' magic power?"

Wendy: "But, what's taking it away?"

Lathaniel(Edolas): "That's what I'm trying to figure out. Actually, we can worry about that later, we gotta get to the city and help everyone!"

In the Royal Castle...

Mystogan stood in a large chamber, and in front of him was  a large stream of magic flying into the air, Pantherlily stood behind him with bandages wrapped around where he was shot.

Pantherlily: "Prince."

Mystogan: "This is for the best Lily. For years people have fought because of temptation. Now, I am taking the temptations. The magic in this world will be taken to Earthland through the Reverse Anima, and it will gradually become a part of nature with the already abundant magic there. For the sake of Edolas' future, it must first be brought to ruin."

Nadi silently listened on from the shadows.

People all around Edolas began to panic and despair as the magic was drained from their world. The rivers that were once floating in the sky were now falling to the ground.

Pantherlily: "Prince, I agree that our dependence on Magic has lead to bloodshed, but this..."

Mystogan: "I know... The people of Edolas have a hard road to tread. Many will find it difficult to adapt to the changes of this world, some will die. It is for that reason that a leader must step forward and guide them. A new ruler for a brand new Edolas. One who can gather the desparate and frightened, and bravely guide them in this time of darkness."

Pantherlily: "And you're saying that this new leader, is you?"

Mystogan: "No, I can't rule this world. Instead of growing with Edolas as it's prince, I've decided to reside in Earthland, so I have no right to claim it's throne. Edolas will need a Hero to guide the masses, one who vanquished the villain who caused this."

Pantherlily: "You mean the sacrificial lamb?"

Mystogan: "...Whoever eliminates the one that drove the Kingdom into chaos, is bound to become a true hero to the masses, and that hero will unify the scattered survivors and be their new ruler."

Pantherlily: "Then, who is playing what role?"

Mystogan: "Look, the writing on the wall is clear. I tried to overthrow the King with an armed rebellion, and now I've taken away this world's magic power and plunged it into chaos. It should be obvious that because I am the man behind these terrible deeds, that there is only one role I can play. Lily, you are well respected on both sides, you can be exempt of predjudice, you are the hero! Blame me and become the ruler! Take me before the people and execute me for my crimes, after that they will follow you to any fate! As a captain of the Royal Army, and an Exceed, you can quell the chaos, become their savior! You are the ruler they need! You can lead the people into a world without magic!