Chapter 9

~Enjoy the picture of Tostinos Pizza Rolls

Christmas was five days away. I was so excited. I had David and Meghan.

Two weeks ago, David convinced me that Meghan wasn't evil and out to get me, but a nice civilized woman who he planned on asking to join us for Christmas.

Even though it's five days until, he still hasn't gotten the nerve to ask her yet, but she is coming today for the one-month check-in.

I ran to the door when I heard her car pull into the driveway. David looked more nervous than ever.

"Dave, calm down. It's just a date not the end of the world," he laughed when I said this.

I opened the door as Meghan climbed the step of the porch.

"Hey, Americus!" she smiled at me, "can I come in?"

"Of course!" I smiled as she walked in. I couldn't wait for David to ask her. He had practiced all last night trying to decide how he was going to ask.

We gathered in the kitchen and sat at the table. About a month ago this time, Meghan admitted to killing my best friend, but I learned to forgive her.

As we went through the normal routine check-up I realized that we hadn't eaten lunch and I was starving.

"Have you eaten lunch yet, Meghan?" I asked hoping to hint that I was hungry.

"No, I have not. Are you hungry?" she responded.

"Yes. David, can we have pizza rolls?"

"Well, um." he looked more nervous than ever.

"Please," I puppy dog eyed him because I knew he wouldn't be able to resist.

"I guess we could if that's what Meghan wants?"

She smiled, "Sounds divine."

I jumped up and went to get the pan while David got the rolls out of the oven. We got the pizza rolls in the oven in record timing.

I went to the counter and hopped up and pulled out three cups. I jumped down and set the cups on the counter and sat down beside Meghan again.

She continued the review until we all jolted as the timer went off. I smiled and went to the cupboard and got three plates.

"Is there anything I can do?" she offered as David and I hustled around the kitchen preparing.

Blindly David pointed to the fridge, "Pour the drinks. Tea for us and if you don't want that there's water."

She smiled and made her way to the fridge, "Tea will do just fine."

About three minutes, later we finally sat down to eat.

Automatically, I grabbed both their hands, bowed my head, closed my eyes, and waited for David to pray.

"Well, you have her trained," Meghan commented.

I looked at them as David nervously laughed.

It has been a month that I have been here, but neither David nor I have gone to church. He said it was because we were still "settling in". I was okay with this as long as I was living with David.

"Are we not going to pray?" I asked sadly.

"I wouldn't want to make Meghan uncomfortable," he replied.

"Oh no, it's okay. I'm a Christian too, so go ahead," she smiled, bowed her head, and closed her eyes.

David reached for her hand, she flinched before slowly holding his back. David and I shared a smile before bowing our heads and closing our eyes, too.

After grace, I looked at my plate and counted: 6 pizza rolls, one bowl of applesauce, and a cup of sweet tea.

My stomach growled and I knew it was time to dig in. After guzzling three rolls, I looked up to see that they hadn't touched their food yet and they were still holding hands.

"Aren't you guys going to eat?"

They both looked at me, pulled their hands back, and started to eat.

As we finished I kicked David under the table. He looked at me as I motioned toward Meghan. He shook his head and finished draining his tea.

Well, if he wasn't going to do it I was, "Meghan, what are you doing for Christmas."

I heard David almost choke on his tea.

She looked at me, "Well, I planned on watching movies all day, why?"

I looked at David and he cleared his throat finally getting my hint, "Meg, how would you like to join us for a meal on Christmas?"

Her gaze left me and landed on David, "I wouldn't want to intrude."

"Come on, Meghan. He's asking you on a date. Are you gonna come or not?" I said exasperatedly. Why were they avoiding it?"

They both blushed. It seemed like an eternity before someone spoke.

"Is it a date, Dave?" Meghan asked him.

"I mean... if you...uh...want it to be," he stuttered.

"I'd love that," she smiled at him.

"Americus would be there."

"Of course."

I smiled at the way they looked at each other.

David got up and started to take the dishes.

"Let me help," Meghan suggested as she hopped up.

"Thanks," David walked to the sink to start the water.

I helped carry the dishes to the sink. Once I saw they were okay I ran upstairs to brush my teeth. When I came back down, they were talking and laughing at each other as David washed and Meghan dried the dishes.

They finished the last dish and David pulled the drain all the while I watched from the doorway.

They turned and saw me standing there.

"How long have you been there?" David asked.

"Not long," I smiled as I skipped to them and wrapped myself in David's arms. He smiled boyishly at Meghan.

"Well, I better get going," Meghan said walking over to collect her belongings.

"Don't forget to come for Christmas!" I told her.

"What time do you want me here?" Meghan asked.

"How about 4, so maybe you can help out? I'm not the best cook," David smiled at her.

"I will be here at 4 to help you and Americus out," she smiled and stepped out the door.

I smiled up at David, "See that wasn't too hard now was it?"