Chapter 4

~Playground as mentioned

We walked to the car in silence. I didn't want to talk to Meghan. I had a feeling she had something to do with the reason David acted strangely.

I got in and buckled up. As Meghan drove to my new home, I had to avoid her glances in the mirror. I realized we were getting close when she started tensing up like she did before we pulled up to Ally's house. She pulled into a driveway and turned off the car, but didn't get out, so neither did I.

"Americus, I want to explain that David was a bad guy. He drinks his problems away," little did she know that I had already known that.

So I decided to tell her, "I already know that".

She looked shocked, "Did he ever drink in front of you? Or come home drunk?"

I shrugged, "Benji stayed with me, so it was okay."

"Who's Benji?"

I choked up as I told her, "My best friend that you had to take away from me." I knew that Meghan hadn't exactly killed Benji, but it was easy to blame her for taking these things from me, "David, still fed me and gave me everything I needed," by now I was crying, "he loved me unlike you!" I glared at her before getting out of the car.

I could tell she was at a loss for words, but I didn't care. I missed Benji. I wanted his fur to cry into. I wanted him to be there to listen to every word I said. I wanted my best friend back.

After getting introduced to my new family, Cheryl, and Grant, I was led to my bedroom. It was huge. Well, the size of Ally's room, and I didn't have to share it.

I walked over and collapsed onto the bed. I didn't realize I had fallen asleep until Grant walked in and told me dinner was ready.

I walked down to the kitchen to find the table set and Cheryl bringing out a turkey. I sat down at the table and waited for Grant and Cheryl.

They sat down and held hands both grabbing my hands. I didn't know what was happening, but both Cheryl and Grant bowed their heads and closed their eyes. I followed their example and bowed my head and closed my eyes.

I jumped when Grant started talking, "Dear Father, We thank you for bringing Americus into our lives. We hope that you let us make great memories with each other. We love you so much and thank you for giving us this opportunity. Amen."

They squeezed my hands before letting go and digging in. I don't know what I was feeling was, but it was something I never felt before. I decided to push it aside and dig in, too. After dinner, I went up to get ready for bed.

I was unpacking my bag when I saw a letter that I must've missed when I got into my suitcase this morning. I went down the stairs and asked Grant to read me the letter.

The letter read: "Americus, I'm sorry that I forgot about your birthday. I'm sad that you're leaving. I hope that you won't stay mad at me forever. I'm sorry for getting mad about you crying on my bed. I knew you went to the park, so I told the police to go there. Mom wrote this for me because I can't write well. I'm sorry. -Ally"

I ripped the letter up and threw it in the trash. I didn't care what Ally wanted to say.

I changed into my pajamas and laid in the bed. I lay awake for what seemed like years.

Grant walked in and came to my bed and told me, "Goodnight, Americus. I'm sorry if that letter upset you, but I hope you sleep well." He kissed my forehead and walked out. I didn't know how to react, so I just laid there.

Sometime later I fell asleep. I woke up to the smell of bacon. I smiled as I rose in the bed. I wasn't used to this smell or treatment.

I got up and walked downstairs. I found Cheryl and Grant in the kitchen making breakfast. Cheryl had the pancakes on the griddle and Grant had the bacon in the skillet. They looked happy, working around each other and singing along to the music.

I hated to interrupt, but Grant had spotted me. He smiled, "Good morning, Americus. We hoped the smell of bacon would wake you up."

I smiled and took a seat at the table. Cheryl set a plate of pancake and bacon. I smiled up at her as she grabbed her and Grant's plates and set them at the table. Grant brought over cups of apple juice for us.

I smiled and began to eat the pancake; it tasted like heaven. I hadn't realized that Grant and Cheryl were looking at me until I went in for my second bite. I had raised the fork to my mouth and saw them both smiling and their hands raised toward me.

I realized they wanted to perform the act they had at dinner the night before. I set down my fork and grabbed both their hands, closed my eyes, and bowed my head.

Grant said a similar speech like the last time. After he finished, I picked up my fork to eat again. I was interrupted by Grant.

"Americus, have you ever been to church before?"

I didn't know what he was talking about, so with a mouthful with pancake, I shook my head.

"How would you like to go with us?" Cheryl asked me.

"I don't know what it is. Is it safe? Is it fun?"

They laughed and Grant answered, "It is completely safe. You can go and learn what it is. As for the fun part, it's a blast."

"Okay," I smiled before stuffing another bite into my mouth.

They looked at each other before they started to eat. I reached for the cup of juice but couldn't reach it, so Grant pushed it into my reach.

After that, we ate in silence. I felt content for the first time in a while.