Need Directions Home?

Presley's POV

My fingers twisted into the soft material of Brantley's t-shirt as tears slipped down my face. I couldn't even make words work their way up my throat. I was clinging to all that I had ever wanted. All that I had ever needed. I'd never been more sure of anything in my life.

"It's not too late," I whispered feeling myself scooped up. I vaguely heard the front door slam realizing we were in the living room a second later. Brantley settled down on the couch with me wrapped around him. Nothing being said. It didn't need to be. He was clinging to me as much as I was him. Sometime later I felt my hand being lifted. I raised my head off his chest meeting his bleary eyes seeing the soft smile on his lips.

"Well I was going to yank it off but," he said with a quiet chuckle. I rolled my eyes shaking my head before laying it back down lacing my fingers with his.

"Took it off earlier when I got a shower," I explained but I knew what he meant. "I know we need to talk. That there is a lot to figure out. But I know this, it won't be going back on my finger."

"Damn right it won't," Brantley growled making me laugh. I leaned up kissing him softly. Fingers tangled in my hair as he deepened it. He pulled back looking at me. "The kids upstairs?"

"No," I murmured biting my lip. "I was so upset on the way home I called Mom asking if they could stay with her. I didn't want them to see me like that."

"Understandable," he sighed stretching out on the couch with me curled into his side. "I can go if you want."

"Like hell," I muttered burrowing as close as I could get. "You even move an inch off this couch I will shoot you."

"Yes mam," Brantley chuckled grabbing the blanket I kept on the back his nana had made me and settled it over us. I didn't even realize I had fallen asleep until a voice jerked me from the deep sleep.

"What in the hell do we have here?" I heard snarled making me sit up with a start. The lights in the living room flicked on making me squint at the sudden brightness. I looked up seeing Chris's cold blue eyes glaring down at me. "This the reason you text me to just stay at my apartment tonight instead of coming home? Here it was I was coming to check on you worried about you. Only to find you curled up with your ex-husband. How long has this been going on Presley? We are supposed to be getting married!"

"This is your only warning to watch how you talk to her," Brantley said so deathly calm I gasped. He slowly sat up sitting me to the side before standing up.

"Get the hell out of my house!" Chris yelled shaking his fist towards him. I inhaled deeply at his words seeing red. I jumped to my feet prepared to put him in his place.

"Have you lost your damn mind?" I snapped stepping closer to him as he glared down at me. I know he did not say that. In fact, he was trying to talk me into selling the house last week. Had shut him down in a hurry. Most of the kids' memories were here so no way in hell. A dark laugh had me whipping my head around to raise an eyebrow at Brantley.

"He doesn't know does he?" he asked me with a chuckle. I rolled my eyes knowing he was enjoying this way too damn much.

"I don't know what?" Chris snapped. "I live here."

"First of all no you don't," I snapped shaking a finger at him. "You've stayed here because I have allowed it. There is a difference. And he's right. Your name isn't on the title of this house. Hell neither is mine."

"What do you mean?" Chris asked throwing his hands up. "Yes this is your house. We are engaged so it is mine too."

"It's my name on it," Brantley said aiming a smug smile at Chris. "Part of our divorce settlement since I got the one we were building at the time. No one needed to know other than Presley and I because it was between us. So, in truth, I have more right in this place than you do."