Chapter 9

I was sitting on the couch with trying to read while waiting for Caleb to get here and I was nervous as fuck.

Today had flown by after the girls left and I got dressed for my day. After my lecture I headed off campus and went over to a local diner to meet a woman who was a patient in my study but had also become a friend.

Charlotte was now 28 and had her stroke over a year ago when she was almost 27. Thankfully, although she had had a massive stroke, it was in her occipital lobe and her lasting deficits weren't as severe as some of my other people. I had been meeting with her a few times a month over the past 6 months and we had slowly become friends. She had a pair of 2 year old twins that I had met on several occasions when she brought them along and  they were adorable. And thankfully she worked as a paralegal for a prominent family law lawyer in the city that frequently gave her extended lunch breaks so she was able to meet with me.

She had gotten there before me so I saw here sitting facing the door looking down at her phone. But when I slid into the seat across from her, she quickly put it down with a smile.

"Hey! How are you."

I returned her smile and took her in. You would never guess by looking at her that she had suffered some major medical problems. She was the extraordinarily pretty girl next door with her smile and chic pixie cut. Today she was dressed in fitted black trousers and a well fitted cream top that had ruffles for the sleeves, all topped off with fantastic cream pumps. She looked amazing.

"I'm good. Things have been a little crazy lately though."

She put her menu and used what I can only assume were her mom senses and just said, "Spill it. Now."

"What are you talking about?"

"Don't give me that Maddison. For the past couple months you've looked like someone ran over your puppy but wouldn't tell me what was up. Now you're back to your happy old self. So as your friend, spill."

I shook my head at her and was saved for a minute when the waitress came over and took our orders. But once she walked away, Charlotte looked at me with a raised brow and I sighed and told her everything from the time I first arrived in IB to now.

When I finished, she looked a little pale.

"Are you ok?" I asked, a little concerned that she was going to pass out.

"Yea, this is about you."

"Ok, but you look like you're going to pass out. I mean, the things happening haven't been great, but I don't think they're serious enough for you to react like this."

She took a deep breath and let it out in a sigh, "I may have had a situation that relates to yours."

Her answer threw me off. Did she mean that she also saw a crime being committed and was on the run, she had a man put her through the same situation, or she was involved with an MC?

"Would you like to elaborate on that statement?"

"Not really. But I know I'm going to have to tell you eventually. Especially now that I know yours, but not right now. This is about what's going on with you."

"Ok, but you're going to tell me what's going on soon though, right?" I said as a question that was really a statement.

She seemed to catch that and nodded. "Yea, I'll tell you my story another time. Maybe when I can get a sitter for the kids and we can do this over a load of alcohol."

That didn't make me feel better but it was what I was going to get so I had  to take it.

"So are you sure this is what you want? To give Caleb a second chance?" She asked, changing the subject away from herself.