New Year, New You

Nine years later....

Jocelyn examined her hair in front of the bathroom mirror. A bright red... practically crimson colour and filled with coloured streaks. She counted twenty, five more than last year. The colours varied from different shades of blue, orange, green, purple, pink, blonde and even black every year. This year they were an ocean blue. Perks of being a fairy. She ran her hairbrush through her hair and set it down. She examined the rest of herself, pale blue skinny jeans with a hole in one knee, black converses, black singlet, three quarter sleeved black denim jacket that finished just below her ribs and a small crystal star pedant hanging on a silver chain.

She leaned closer to the mirror, checking that her eyeliner was even and making sure the eye colour spell worked properly. She had done everything her mum had taught her to do, so it should have worked. Satisfied with her now dark eyes she pulled away and strolled out of the bathroom. Her mum was in the kitchen drinking tea, with a shot of rose water. Jocelyn's family was particularly specialised in plant and earth magic, but improvement was always optional, in fact the eye colour spell was the first non-earth related spell she'd cast, and it worked perfectly.

"Morning Little Gem" her mum called as Jocelyn walked past.

"Morning!" Jocelyn walked upstairs and entered her room. The walls were decorated with various bands and TV show posters, her bed was messily made as usual and her desk was probably the only organized thing in the room. She picked up her book bag, with white and navy stripes and walked over to it. She opened one of the drawers and plucked out her school note books, she examined them for a moment.

They were new and shiny, perfect for her first day at her new school. The last school she'd been to, her bright hair and colourful eyes drew too much attention and she had to leave, she didn't miss her friends their too much though, they pretended like she wasn't even there. Jocelyn had known they thought she was a freak of nature like everyone else at that school did. But this year would different, this year would be better. She'd been practising identity spells so if she needed to hide her true eye colour or a few streaks, it'd come in handy.

Jocelyn shoved the notebooks in her bag along with a pencil case, phone, purse, novel and keys. She walked back down stairs.

"Here you go Gem" her mum handed her a square plastic container filled with food "now let's go, I'll drive you to school on your first day."

"Great! I don't know the way any ways." Jocelyn and her mum hopped in the car.

. . .

They pulled up at the front of the school.

"Okay, you remember the rules?" her mum turned to Jocelyn.

"Yes, I can make friends but no sharing our secrets, no magic in the presence of mortals, blend in and I should make it."

"Good, now have a great day Little Gem." her mum gave her a kiss on the cheek and Jocelyn walked through the front gates.

The school was huge! It had at least three levels and a wide court yard. Jocelyn took a deep breath and walked toward the front doors, she got a few stares but no one treated her like she something out of the ordinary.

This is good. She thought. I'm blending.

She walked through the doors and found the front office, where a nice lady met her and gave her a student timetable.

New Year, New you. She thought as she searched for her locker.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello readers,

Thanks for reading and if you like it so far please vote! Don't be shy to comment and I'll have the 2nd chapter published soon!

P.S. if you comment below I might dedicate the next chapter to you! :)

<3 Sazninjacookie