chapter. 20

I sat down at the restaurant and waited, I checked my phone re-reading the last text and seeing what time it was sent. I look down at my nails, they were pretty bad looking, chipped nail polish and some dirt here and there, maybe I should have taken Luke up on his offer to get my nails done.  I look towards the door and I see her blonde hair. I see her look around so I wave and she comes walking over.
" Hi" I said as she sat down.
" you know I've never been here" Hannah said
"well they have good food" I said "they have really good milkshakes" She looked up and giggled.

"so what are you doing with your life Katie" she asked
"well I got a job" I said
"please tell me it's something other than horses" she pleaded
I shook my head and laughed, "nope I got a job at the rodeo"
"of course you did" she said. "ooh any single cowboys for me" she asked.
"hannah I thought that you were dating Alex"
" I am just joking, and I don't know if we are dating or what" she said and rolled her eyes.
"well I'm happy that you found someone" I said
" me too, he makes me so happy, he's such a great guy" she gushed. "speaking of, hows Luke, are you guys still dating" She asked
"yes we are" I smiled, "and he's great"
"that's.... good?" she said.
I frowned. "what's that supposed to mean" I asked
" well it's probably nothing" she said, I felt my heart rate increase and got this uneasy feeling in my stomach.

"it's just that I have heard a few people talking about you guys, well mostly him" she said
"what did they say" I asked.
" well that like they are just surprised that he has like stayed in the relationship" she said " I heard that like he used to be a total player, one girl after the other" she said looking at me. "but you know that's probably all just rumors, you know, like people can change" she said and placed a hand on top of mine for comfort.
"yeah" I said quietly. 
"anyways let's get some milkshakes" she said picking up the menu.
I didn't know how to process all that information, I was hoping that it was just all rumors.

I said goodbye to Hannah after dinner and drove to the rodeo remembering that I left my house keys in my locker. I pulled in the parking lot and walked in. Lots of people were there and all the lights were on. I walked in and saw Chip
"what is going on" I asked.
"we are setting up for the banquet, lots of work needs to be done" he said
"oh I assumed that you all had it at another venue"
"nope right here" he said.
"well do you need any help" I asked
He shook his head. " you do enough around here,  I think the guys have it covered" he said. I nodded my head and walked to go get my keys. I walked into the locker room, grabbed my keys and walked out.
"hey babe" I heard and looked up to see Luke. He smiled then frowned, "what's wrong" he asked.
"nothing" I said forcing myself to smile. "just forgot my keys" I said holding up my keys.
" oh ok" he said with a slight frown. "are you excited for tomorrow" he asked with a grin.
I nodded my head, keeping my distance from him.
"are you sure everything is ok" he asked again his expression shifted to concerned
"yeah uh, I'm just really tired" I lied " I'm going to head out" I said and started to walk away.
"hey wait" he said and hugged me, I hugged him back, I didn't know what to believe or what not to believe, everything just felt so uncertain. "I'll see you tomorrow ok, I love you Katie" he said I nodded, and quickly walked to my truck. I got in and quickly drove home, I started to cry. I felt like everything in our relationship could be a lie, I was so scared that he would get tired of me and dump me. That he would just move on to some new girl right after me. I felt so vulnerable and I hated it. 

I crawled into bed and laid there, I must have laid there for a couple of hours, just thinking. Thinking about what my life would have been like if I hadn't been kicked by that horse. My brain was going a million miles a second. I looked at my phone seeing that it was 3 am, and that I had a couple of missed texts from Luke. I opened up my phone and started to read the messages. I read over them then turned my phone off and rolled over to go to sleep. There was probably nothing to worry about, people like to start drama, I took a deep breath and felt calmness wash over me.