Chapter 42: Maleficent

Enchanté Gala: Silver Jubilee.

Mallory beamed at the bold golden letters in the darker background hung above the entrance of the celebratory hall.
She had been given the opportunity to pick out the best designers to unveil their masterpieces in honour of the 25th anniversary of their Fashion House.

Mal sighed. 25 years already?

"Mal, for God's sake, you're still admiring exteriors, the show started over an hour ago." Someone called out to her from the open entrance doors.

Mallory forced herself to look away from the decorations. She felt overly giddy and couldn't even bring herself to go in for the celebration.

"Earth to you!" The person called again, grumpier this time. "Stefan has been asking of you time and time again."

"I'll be there. Give me a few to get myself composed."

"You had over an hour."

"I said I'm coming, Yzma!"

Yzma huffed and forced her head back into the hall.

Mal wasn't surprised that Stefan was waiting for her. She and her boss had been inseparable. For over the 13 years since she started to work there.

Enchanté had been like her greatest achievement. Sure she had met Stefan along the way, while the fashion house was still running. She was a little over her 20s by then. But she had proved that she was more than capable to be his assistant.

And so had she been for 13 years now.

She had become not only his assistant but also his other half. She was around when the gallery celebrated it's 15th anniversary, she'd been there when they'd struck their biggest gold mine, a collection for the Queen of Hearts' Deck. She was even there when Stefan begun dating Mary, his recent wife.
Duh, she was the chief bridesmaid.

So, ever since Stefan began to talk about retirement (though it was over 5 years ago), she had no doubt that her boss would grant her that honour. Hell, she was basically family.

And even if Stefan had no time to retire, he'd made it pretty clear that he would, one day.

Paving way for her.

She hated the self-pride knowledge that she was no doubt, going to take over Enchanté once Stefan retired.

And she was practically dressed for all the events. One of them might be the break of The Great Announcement.

Smoothening her dark sequined dress, she held her head up high and walked into the room.

As expected, she was heartily cheered in by the guests seated. Though the latest fashion line ideas were still strutting down the runway platform on skinny-to-anorexic models, Stefan had made them pause to acknowledge her presence.

Mallory smiled to herself. He was standing next to his beautiful, bejewelled, luckily rich wife. In her arms lay a white fluff of joy.

Oh right, she'd almost forgotten. She was also there when Mary had gone into labour. She wasn't around to go to the hospital, but she'd gotten news that Mary'd been rushed to the hospital.