Chapter 28: Post-Celebrations

"Can I see him now, Miss?" A teary-eyed Merida almost grabbed at Nurse Flora.

"Did you sleep here?" Flora asked as she Went to open the blinds.

"One can't really sleep when she was the cause of an accident." She rubbed her eyes m, not minding if she was getting some red wisps into her eyes.
"Tell me. Is he OK? Tell me the truth. How is he?"

"Oh dear..." the older lady began to move towards her desk. "I'm afraid we don't have the rights to give off that information to just any student."

"But you called Doctor Von Drake last night. He usually does his job within hours. Surely, he must have told you what was going on. You can tell me. I caused his accident."

Amidst all her panic, Merida didn't even notice the spud of feet coming up from behind her. "And what are you doing here?" Philip sounded more venomous than he did the previous day."

Merida didn't even do so much as spare him a glance. Ignoring him, she quickly carried on. "Tell me, nurse. Just tell me his condition. This weight needs to be lifted off of my shoulders. Please help me out here."

Flora looked down at her hands, visibly hesitating. She rushed off to take a seat behind her desk, swiftly picking up the receiver of the telephone that sat on her desk.

Merida let out a desperate groan. She was badly sleep-deprived yet her guilt seemed to have overshadowed that.

"Isn't it bad enough that you caused all this? You scattered the whole show, you injured Hiccup, you blatantly disobeyed orders..."

"You shut up!" She cried in frustration.  Dried tear streaks stained her face. "Is it not bad enough that I'm taking the whole blame for this. Greater than that is that I could have killed somebody..."

"Oh, he's not dead, miss." Flora put the receiver down.

Both of them quickly turned to the nurse. For a moment, Merida actually looked super relieved, then she noted the grim look on Flora's face. "But..."

"Sir Mickey would  like to see you, Miss DunBroch."

At that moment, Merida felt her world stop. She even felt worst when Flora went on and said, "Your mother is there right now."

"Oh God..." Merida breathed. Her breathing rate picked up. Her hand flew to her head. "I'm so dead. I'm  dead. My God, I'm so so dead." At that moment, the flood in her eyes began to flow down her cheeks.

"You really shouldn't have done that. All thus would have been avoided." Philip folded his arms.

Merida was getting too sick of Philip but she knew she had no strength for him.

"I already know I'm going to get suspended. But still..." she turned to the nurse. "I NEED to see Hiccup. I have to see if he's okay. I need to apologize..."

"His right let's been paralysed."

"What?!" Both of them chorused. Merida slapped the table top in disbelief. "What?" She repeated.

"It's not permanent, however. Thank God. But you see, the arrow was infected and we couldn't stop the speed of the infection.  We're lucky it's only the right leg."

"I need to see him. I just ruined a boy's life. He didn't deserve any of this. I feel so terrible." She buried her face in her arms. "Please let me see him."

Flora looked  calmly on Merida. "Sure. But you have to make it quick. He needs plenty of rest."

Merida nodded quickly and rushed past both of them into the opposite room.