Chapter 29

"I repeated no courses!" Eric punched his fist in the air as stared continuously into the screen of his laptop.

He turned to his girlfriend. "I mean, I got a C in Animal and Plant Life and that sorta lowered my CGPA. But it's only by, maybe, a 1.5. I'll try harder next time." He shrugged. "What about you, Nessa?"

Vanessa scowled in disgust as she looked at her own screen. "This is bullshit!"

"What?" Eric asked. "What happened."

"It's trash, that's what happened. After all I did for that stupid Facilier..." She looked at Eric. "And I'm sure you got the perfect grades, didn't you?"

"Well,.its not that perfect. I did get a C..."

"Oh hallelujah!" She sneered with sarcasm and slammed her laptop lid down. "Why am I not surprised?"

"Vanessa..."

"It's because I'm with you, that's why I'm always failing. In every relationship, there's always one smarter than the other. In this case, it's you!" She began to stand up.

"What are you saying. What does this all mean?"

"It means, if I want to get my grades up, I have to avoid all forms of distractions. You- you go on and get your golden grades. You deserve it! I really think we should call it quits."

"What?!" Eric repeated but this time, his voice reverberated around the walls of the hall, causing a few heads to turn towards them. From the corner of his eye, he could spot a familiar redhead.

Oh great! How strange it was that she always showed up whenever he was in the midst of a crisis.

"Jesus! What's all the fuss about? Why the hell are you so loud? Keep it down..."

"What do you mean you want to call it quits? Where did that come from?"

"It means just that. I think we need to end this." She turned her nose up on him then began to bag her laptop.

"My Lord." Eric ran his hand through his dark hair. "No way. Just like that? Just because of grades? That absurd."

"What's absurd is that you aren't being understanding here. I'm doing this for me. For my grades. I want to pass too. I just have to focus more..."

"To hell with that." His voice lowered. "You think I don't know that you can pass the next semester if you want to? You think I don't know exactly how  you've been passing? I didn't even give a damn when I heard what you do to get good grades-"

He was interrupted by the hard slap Vanessa landed across his cheek.

Ariel winced.

"How dare you? How dare you sprout such nonsense to my face, Eric?" Her voice quivered.

Eric's face was still facing the side that the slap had flung his head to. He smirked as his hand reached out to touch his stinging cheek. "You've been looking for a reason to break us up ever since. I've always known. I've been out here, trying to make things work between us, throwing off all the assumed rumours about you."
He turned once more to face her, this time, with watery eyes.

"You don't care about anyone but yourself. And I've been super obsessed with you all this while. How stupid of me. I don't deserve this. I don't deserve you. You wicked woman."

"You pig." Her eyebrows furrowed. "I should have left you a long time ago. You say I'm wicked?" She chuckled. "You have no idea." Throwing a 'Go to hell' smirk at him, she walked off.

Eric rubbed his eyes with his arm. He did love Vanessa to the moon and back. Everyone had been trying to figure out what charm had drawn him to her so badly.
Then, just wished they could go back to five minutes earlier when he had checked his results.
Maybe he shouldn't have boasted so much and rubbed it all in her face like that.