Chapter 1: Mulan

Fa Lee stopped the blue car in front the large almost castle-like building. Walt Disney College.

Fa Mulan sighed at the window, her eyes looking dully at it. She knew it was glorious but she wouldn't give her mother that satisfaction.

"We're finally here," the older lady sighed in happiness, turning to face her daughter. "Aren't you happy, Mulan?"

Mulan just shrugged. "I guess," her hand reached out  to grab her backpack. It wasn't that she wasn't happy, it was just that...

"Make lots of friends,"

That was it!

She rolled her eyes and forced a smile as she let her mother pinch her cheeks. "You know you're a very pretty young girl. You're bound to find lots of 'friends' here," Fa Lee winked.
Mulan knew her mom meant male friends.

"Mom, I have lots of male friends back in China."

"That's not what I mean. Not your football buddies, I meant..."

"Bye, mom." She quickly turned to peck her mom on the cheek and got ready to make an exit.

"I mean it, young lady. You're 18, for God's sake. You have to start behaving like a woman. Do things women do, have a boyfriend, Mulan,"

"Urrghh!" Mulan looked up in frustration. "I'll try. Bye, mom! I'll call you and dad as soon as I settle in, OK? Tell dad to rest his leg. I pray for his quick recovery," she quickly got out of the car and made it over to the back of the car to get her luggage.
Her mom only came out to give her a sweet smile before waving her off.

"Greet grandma too!" Mulan got a chance to shout before carrying on with her load.

****

Mulan finally made it to her room. The dean, Mrs. Potts, was kind enough to locate her room for her.
Female's Wing, 2nd floor, Room F.
She couldn't hide her joy when she noticed she'd finally made it to her room. As she stopped to put down her bags, she noticed that the room was already opened.

My roommate must be around already...what joy.

Before she could even knock on the door, it opened in front of her, leaving her fist up in the air, against the door frame.

A tall, dark girl stepped out, with the fullest black hair Mulan had ever seen. Her eyes were gleaming green against her beautiful, dark, features. Her slim wrists were clad in golden bracelets and a large golden hoop earring hung from her ear.
The girl offered her a sweet smile, easing up the tension.

"Hello? Are you lost?"

"Er...not really," Mulan fumbled with the yellow card in her hand, looking down at it and pulling a strand of hair behind her ear. "According to this paper...this is supposed to be my room,"

"Oh! You're new!" The dark girl exclaimed.

"Yeah,"

"Come in, come in." She stepped aside to allow Mulan come in, rushing out to help with the other bags.

"I'm Esmeralda. Esmeralda Djali. Your new roommate." She put the bags down. "And you are?"

"Oh! Er, sorry. I'm Mulan. Fa Mulan."

"Nice yo meet you, Fa,"

"No. Mulan is my name. Fa is more like my surname. But that's how we do it in China,"

"Sorry," Esmeralda smiled again, placing her fists on her hips. "Welcome to Walt Disney College. Or Academy. Your pick,"

"Thanks. Are you also a freshman?"

Esmeralda raised a brow. "Nope. I'm a university sophomore. Two years down from here. What are you studying?"

Mulan forced herself not to roll her eyes. "Mass Communication,"

"Mass Communication?" Esmeralda repeated, nodding slowly. "You don't look like someone who'd belong in the screen of a TV. No offence. But you don't even talk much,"

"Yeah," Mulan sighed and flopped down on the empty mattress nearby. She hadn't even noticed it was there until she'd sat on it. "And I know I don't look like a media student. I really don't even want it."

"No kidding," Esmeralda moved closer to her. "Then, why are you—"

"My parents think I need to be a bit more feminine. Like my other girlfriends back at home. I need things like boyfriends, and make up kits and extensions—"

Esmeralda's laugh cut her off. "Really, now. And what exactly do you want?"

For the first time, the Asian girl smiled genuinely. "I play soccer and basketball. I'm more into baskets, though. Unfortunately, my Mongolian roots didn't even permit me to be tall enough to make it on the basketball team. But I'm excellent at it, really. I shoot more than most of the boys at home,"

"Why not join the basketball team here?"

"There's basketball here?"

"And soccer, and football and tennis...everything,"

Mulan smiled but quickly frowned again. "Will they allow me join. You know, a girl and all?"

"Why not? You'll probably enjoy that way more than you will in front of a camera,"

Mulan quickly jerked up. "Maybe I will. Are you in it too!"

"Nope. I'm a gymnast. Gymnast and a dancer. I also play the tambourine in the school's choir. It's good to be all round. That's why  I advice you to go ahead and make good use of the facilities here."

"You're right. Thank you so much!" She jumped up, her smile spreading beyond limits. She knew her parents wouldn't be so happy but still, she felt she was satisfying both teams. She and her parents.

God bless Esmeralda!