Chapter Seventeen

Z.

We don't get much time to react as the Boneys break in through every possible entrance of the train station, ready to mindlessly attack.

They are smart. They've split up. A quarter of them are attacking the humans from the direction of their wall, and the rest of them followed us here. Fudge.

I kept close to Harry, careful not to blow my head off with the thing in my hands.

"Good luck," Harry whispers, and I nod back at him, but he doesn't see as a Boney suddenly lunges out of nowhere, tackling Harry. But he quickly regains his balance and expertly propping his gun on his shoulder, shoots the Boney straight in the skull, wiping the sweat off his forehead with a triumphant smirk.

Sexy.

I snap out of my thoughts as a Boney creeps closer to me. I stare into it's hollow eyes, unconsciously wondering how this was once a human, and then once a zombie with a shred of humanity left it him. And now it had nothing left in  it except for the mindless urge to kill and each everything with a working brain and a beating heart.

I click the trigger of my gun, but it doesn't work. Shoot. The Boney cackles and then tackles me down. We wrestle on the ground for a while. I claw at the thing desperately as it squeezes my windpipe. I finally gather every ounce of strength I have and flip us over, ramming my fist in the skeleton's skull.

I hiss in pain as the shards of bone dig inside my hand, but I ignore it as I stand up. As my mind catches up, for a few seconds I stand still, feeling the pain, welcoming it.

I'm feeling pain. Awesome.

All around, my brothers and sisters are expertly fighting off the zombies with their own weapons, while some are using hands and teeth, the old fashioned way. We seem to have the upper hand, and slowly but surely, the numbers of the skeletons start dwindling.

They weren't expecting the corpses to fight back with such strength and unity, hence they didn't attack here in a large number.

And now, when we will join forces and help the humans... I smirk, as I run the fingers of my uninjured hand through my matted black hair, flicking it off my forehead.

I look around, and all I can see are punches thrown around and bones being crunched. I frantically cast my gaze around, and sigh in relief when I see Harry okay and doing well, constantly firing and approaching Boneys. He was getting attacked more than the rest of us, because Harry is completely human and has a heartbeat.

I slowly move forward as I keep blasting off the skeletons, who look unsure now, looking like they are contemplating retreating. Hah! We are outside the train station-- where we were initially attacked-- and out in the field now, with the Boneys slowly backing away.

The plan that instantly formed was pretty simple.

"Shit!" I hear Harry curse, who keeps clicking the trigger of his gun but it doesn't shoot. The Boney almost grins smugly and lunges for Harry, but he knocks the muzzle of the gun in it's skull, killing it.

Wow.

I get knocked out of my Harry-trance as I hear everyone cheering around me. I look around, and the Boneys are running away, back towards the human enclave, to join their buddies and finish the humans.

But oh yeah, we're going to finish them there and then!

"Let's f-finish them!" N battle-cries with a fist pump, followed by the other corpses cheering. We split up in two groups; half of us taking after the Boneys on car, and the other half staying behind on foot, in case the skeletons try to pull another move and attack us again from behind.

I frantically look for Harry in the crowd, but get tackled my something from behind. I ram my elbow at the thing, and Harry moans in pain, collapsing on the ground, clutching his gut.

Oh. My God. "Harry! Oh God I- I am so so sorry! I- are you okay?"

Harry rubs his stomach, and winces as I help him up. "I t-thought you were--"

"S'fine, Z. It eas a mistake," Harry laughs as he ruffles my hair. I smile as I lean in his touch.

"But you sure do know how to use that elbow hook," Harry says, rubbing his stomach again.

"Sorry," I say sheepishly, pouting. I see Harry smiling at me out the corner of my eye, and I return his smile.

***

As we zombies at the train station have dozens of cars and fuel, N and I teach the others how to drive and some of the corpses set out towards the wall on cars, to finish the Boneys.

Some of us are far behind on foot and keeping an eye for the Boneys if they get any ideas and surprise attack us from behind, including Harry and I.

Harry and I still have our unloaded rifles as weapons. We can still swing them at thwir heads without ammo.

"Now, finally everything's going well," Harry says, more to himself. "We chased those things away, and we have where we want them. Now we'll finish them with the army, us and you guys. Together. No war between us. Jist working together. And hey, who likes those skeletons anyway?" Harry laughs.

He is right. Before, we were thinking that a war between the humans and the zombies was going to break out, and it was inevitable.

But now, the Boneys attacking us all, it has been for the better. Because now we all have to join forces to beat them, and what better way to make amends and bury the hatchet then blowing the heads off of a common enemy?

•••

Yass the skeletons have retreated! And now everyone will kick skeletal ass together!
(surprised) humans and zombies <3

And i know this part of the book (the boneys attacking at the train station) doesnt happen in the movie, but like i said, i'll add my own twists ;)

~zarrycupcake xx