Chapter Sixteen

HARRY.

Without wasting much time, Z and I exit the alleyway where my dad had almost killed Z, and make our way to the inventory outside, where all the weapons are stocked. Z, on the way, explains his plan to me. That we should reach the station and recruit the zombies, who are on the human's side. I was shocked to learn this, but it didn't sound impossible.

The Boneys are inhuman, and now the corpses-- who are gaining their humanity back-- have every reason to side with the humans. And besides, the Boneys are out to tear their non-beating hearts as well, just because they fear the zombies are becoming human again. And they fear correctly.

And so, we are now on our way to the train station, also known as the zombie enclave, to guide the zombies in fighting off the Skeletons. Truth be told, I was excited for this turn of events. Because one, now with the zombies siding with humans, we have a 90 percent chance in finally winning this war and eradicating the Boneys. And also, this will finally prove to the humans and especially the Colonel that the zombies are changing.

We were so damn close to convincing my dad. Z is not like them, I can say that without a doubt. He has a conscience, he tries so hard, as he is way better than half the humans I know. But our plan didn't work, and now he have an even bigger problem on our hands.

An impending war. And no matter how good it looks for us, we still have to reach the train station before the skeletons finish this. We can't say anything yet.

Outside the hall, everyone is running helter skelter, Dad's men shouting orders to everyone and soldiers proceeding outside the walls to fight off the skeletons whose numbers are climbing by the seconds. It didn't look good, at all. We can hear the sounds of gunshots, crunching bones and menacing growls from here, and... yeah. It looks really fucking bad.

"Hurry," Z pulls me by the hand in the direction of the inventory, and I snap out of my thoughts as we make our way to the building.

Inside, I grab two guns and toss one to Z, and from behind us, Louis loads his rifle. "Don't forget me boys."

I grin. "Never. Let's go then," I nod to Z, who is looking at the gun in his hands like it would eat him.

"What's wrong Z?"

"H-how does this t-thing work?" Z groans, examining the rifle. I chuckle.

"Just point and shoot, easy." The ground shakes with the intensity of an explosion, as Louis and I share worried looks.

"C'mon, we don't have much time."

•••

On our way to the train station, we explain our plan to Louis, and everything about the corpse's new mentality. He is a bit shocked, but more happy than anyone else, that we can now kick some skeletal butts.

"So, they are just... becoming human?" Louis asks for the nth time.

"Yes," Z groans.

"Awesome, just awesome."

We keep walking in a line, with me in the front, then Z and Louis lastly behind him, constantly asking questions.

"Hey, Z," I say, when Louis has finally quieted down.

"Yeah?"

"Thanks. I mean, I know I can't thank you enough for everything you've done, and standing up to Dad..." I trail off. I admire Z even more now. He was willing to risk his life, just to convince my Dad to side with the zombies.

Z is so selfless.

"It's alright, Harry. Thanks for de-defending me back there," Z says softly. "You didn't have to.. have to do that."

"Enough with the sappiness," Louis groans from behind us, as I chuckle and Z rolls his eyes.

We follow the same secret passageway, that leads outside to the fields, far away from the Boneys who I think are close to the wall, all of them surrounding it.

As soon as all three of us step outside of the dark winding underground passage and into the sunlight, Louis is tackled by a Boney.

Shit shit shit! They're everywhere! We are getting ambushed! I fucking thought they were just around the wall, but they're smarter. They didn't leave any entrance alone.

Louis shoots the Boney attacking him straight through it's head, shattering it's skull. Z twiddles with his rifle, then surprisingly shoots a Boney bullseye.

"I'll hold them off, you guys go ahead!" Louis says, expertly blasting off all the Boneys coming his way.

"No!" I protest. "I will not leave you behind again!" I growl. The first time when we were attacked at the hospital, I had to leave my best friend behind against my will, but now I have a choice. We are a team. I am not going to leave him amidst these skeletons.

"For fuck's sake Harry, go with Z! I have enough ammo to hold them off! I'll just get back with the Colonel!" Louis yells over the sound of gunfire.

"Be careful!" I call out to Louis worriedly, as I shoot another Boney down.

"We'll h-have to run!" Z shuffle closer to me, and I nod to him, and then to Louis who is slowly backing away, retracing his steps back to the human enclave.

Z and I take off then, a few Boneys chasing us. I keep twisting back and blowing their head off, but they keep growling and snapping, relentless.

I feel myself getting out of breath and I panic as the two remaining Boneys get even closer. One of them slashes my arm as I hiss in pain. Z grabs my hand and we run even faster, and then seconds later, the growling and thumping footsteps stop.

We turn around and see both the skeletons writhing on the ground, pipes jutting out of both their skulls.

And then a few corpses appear out of nowhere, hugging Z. I recognize N amongst the group, and he nods at me in acknowledgement.

"Good shot," Z grins and nods in the direction of the dead skeletons, and N shrugs proudly.

"Practice."

"M-more Boneys. Get b-back," a brown haired corpse says, her eyes worriedly scanning the otherwise empty field.

"The others. We have to fight. As an a-army," Z says to the other two zombies who agree with him. The train station is not far now, and I sigh in relief, clutching my slowly bleeding bicep.

After about 45 minutes of tiresome walking and many false alerts, we soon step foot inside the train station. And instantly we hear the familiar ominous growling and thumping of footsteps. N moans, "Shit!" voicing all of our thoughts.

"You guys are aiding with the humans right? And that's amazing! But we have to attack now. As in now!" I say, tightening the piece of my shirt I ripped off, around my bicep, and loading my gun, and Z awkwardly does the same with his gun.

The zombies, who are already in form and armed with all sorts of weapons, move forward.

N turns to us with a smirk, his blue eyes shining with excitement. "Yeah. And we- we are ready... to kick skeleton ass."

•••

Finally off hold! I missed zombie Zayn <3

Next chapter will be the zombies attacking the skeletons and helping the humans :)

Sorry for the short update, but I'm doing a double update today, and if not, then tomorrow! :D

~zarrycupcake xx