Chapter Ten

HARRY.

As soon as the sun rises, I hurriedly dress in my now dry clothes, and glance at Z to see him soundly asleep. I thought zombies didn't sleep? Well I'm not sticking around to find out.

I tip-toe toward the kitchen and search through the cupboard, locating a boning knife and tucking it safely in my belt. I grab a bottle of water, and quietly slip out the door.

Spotting it, I bolt towards the sports car, jumping inside as it's still raining. I place my forehead on the steering wheel, catching my breath, and gathering my thoughts.

So Z told me that he is the one that killed Dustin. As much as I want to be mad at Z, I can't. It's his nature. He can't help it. It's the apocalypse's fault. I could see it in his eyes that he regretted it.

But still, I can't bear to be around Z anymore. He's a killer. It's in his body. I know for some twisted reason, he didn't kill me yet, and saved me many times, but I have no assurance that he won't kill me.

And I have to get back to the human enclave. I know my Dad must be going mad by now.

I shake my head and start the car, revving the engine and maneuvering the car onto the slick road. I drive through the suburbia and into the abandoned city, keeping my head low to avoid being seen by the corpses who can easily tackle the car.

I take a deep breath and begin to relax as I drive out of the abandoned city limits, and close to the train station. Which means the wall is close. The wall, that separates the apocalyptic world, and the unaffected world. Also known as the human prison.

I drive past the train station, as memories of spending time with Z suddenly hit me. I feel an uncomfortable burden on my chest, and I can't understand why. I sigh, and speed up the car, wanting to get out of this area and reach home as soon as possible.

Just as I reach the grassy fields, the car jerks to a stop, sputtering.

"Shit, shit shit!" I curse, slamming my hands on the steering wheel in frustration. Out of fucking gas!

Thinking that it would be pointless to sit here and wait in the car for zombies to find me, I kick open the car door and jump out. Sheilding my eyes from the harsh glare of the morning sun, I survey my surroundings.

Okay. Alright. So my best guess is, that the wall must be about a mile or so ahead. As the road was going in this direction, so the wall must be as well. Leaving the car behind, I start my jog towards what I hope to God is the right direction.

~*~

After about an hour of walking in the straight path, I finally catch sight of the tall, grey concrete wall looming in the distance. Increasing my pace, I finally reach the parameter of the wall, panting.

Just as I lift my head up, "STOP RIGHT THERE! IDENTIFY YOURSELF!" Two strong hands restrain me, and the muzzle of a rifle is aimed at my head.

"Guys, it's me! Ugh! I'm not infected!" I struggle against their grip. But oh, am I glad that I'm near my fellow humans again.

"Hah! Exactly what a corpse would say," Alex, another one of Dad's lapdogs, snorts.

"But I'm fucking okay!" I protest.

"Harry, stop it," Alex warns. "Liam, bring the scanner," he nods to Liam, Dad's right hand man, who brings the device up to my face, scanning my eye. A satisfying beep sounds from the device, and Liam lowers it.

"Is he okay?" Alex asks tentatively.

"He's clean," Liam calls out, and the men let me go.

"How the fuck did you survive out there? Louis said you were taken by the..." Liam asks as we start to walk inside, past the barricaded wall. I shrug, rubbing my hands over my arms.

"Yeah, I escaped. And I just... did," I carefully say, not wanting to tell them about Z. The reason I'm alive right now.

"Well. It's good to have you back mate," Liam claps me on the back. "We've to gice Colonel the good news, let's-" Liam doesn't get to finish his sentence as Dad appears out of the common building. He jogs towards us, and his eyes scan my body before he engulfs me in a hug. I blink in shock, but hug him back nonetheless.

"I'm so happy you're back son, I was so, so worried," Dad murmurs, then pulls back, smiling. I smile back, nodding.

"Yeah, I'm back. And I'm okay."

"He sent half a dozen units to look out for you," Liam shakes his head, standing beside Dad.

"How did you even manage to escape, Harry?" Dad questions skeptically.

"I was hiding in a house in the suburbs and then I found a car,  

so I came straight here," I explain.

Dad nods. "Are you sure nothing bit you? Are you feeling alright?"

I roll my eyes. "DoI look infected to you, Dad?"

"Right. Okay." Dad nods and pats my shoulder. "Glad you came back okay. I thought I lost you, son."

"Well, you didn't Dad," I smile awkwardly. "I'm back."

Dad sighs. "Welcome back Harry. And... why don't you go back to the house and rest? You can fill us all in later," Dad suggests and I agree, making my way towards the jeep, that will take me to the house.

~*~

Just as I'm slipping on some boxers after stepping out of the shower, the door bursts open, making me start in shock and lose my balance.

"Holy shit! I saw your thing!" Louis squeals, covering his eyes.

I roll my eyes with a huff, and pull my boxers on. Then standing straight up, I quickly pull on a pair of joggers and a loose band tee.

"Alright, I'm decent," I announce, amused, and Louis finally uncovers his eyes with a huge grin.

"HAZZA!" He tackles me, and end up on the ground. Again.

"You're alive. Oh my God I'm so so so sorry for leaving you back there and I was hoping everyday that you were okay and not dead and when the news came in that you had just arrived I almost choked on my soup!" Louis babbles, crushing me under his weight.

But I don't push him off, just hug him closer to me. "I missed you, Lou," I murmur, snuggling my nose in his hair. Louis quiets down, and pulling us up, silently returns my hug.

"You okay now, Haz?" Louis asks, his blue eyes probing mine.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I sigh, my thoughts enevitably drifting to Z. I squeeze my eyes shut.

"Harry?" Louis asks softly. I look back at my best friend, and begin to tell him everything.

~*~

Sorry for the late update! This is what happens when I start too many books at a time. *sighs* Oh well. Hope you liked! ^_^

Oh, and once again! This book is the 1D VERSION of Warm Bodies, so the plot will be 90% ditto!

Thank you for the almost 10K reads! ^_^

~bemycupcake <3