Chapter twenty seven. (Chris)

I was having breakfast with the team, when Kevin started calling me. I ignored the first two calls, but something told me to answer the next one. 

   "What's up Kev, I'm eating."  I asked, clearly annoyed. He knows not to bother me during game day.

Kevin sounded like he was freaking out. "Court's in labor."

That made me stop eating and start panicking. "What do you mean she's in labor? Court's not due till January 10th. She's only 35 weeks." I knew I was loud because everyone  looked concerned.   

"I'm going to the bus." I mouthed to coach. He nodded in understanding.

"Chris, she could be due next year, these babies are coming now, Her contractions are not even 5 minutes apart."

"Is she okay?"

As if on cue, Courtney let out a blood curling scream.

"Face time me, and then give your phone to Court." I instructed Kevin.

  Once I saw her over the phone, I wished I could be there to hold her hand. Courtney's face was sweaty, and she was crying kind of hard. "Chris,  Do something to make me feel better." She whined.   

    I thought for a minute. "Hey Cara, remember when we first met ? "

Courtney laughed a little. "I thought you were a creep. Who asks someone to go to their apartment ?"

"Haha, you still came though. Remember when, we went grocery shopping at Wal-Mart?"

"Hey, you have to push." A doctor said.

Courtney started to push, and I retold her the story.  "You tried to buy your food, but I wouldn't let you..."

"You still won't let me buy anything." Court interjected.

"Cause you're my girl, I'm supposed to do that now shush. You were all 'I'm a strong independent woman who don't need no man'." I mocked her in a high pitched voice. 

"We can see the baby's head, two more pushes Courtney." The doctor said. 

"Alright, Cara, push." 

"Finish the damn story Chris." Courtney yelled.

"Okay, okay, anyway, remember how we got into an argument over me paying for your things ? The cashier was laughing the whole time."

Courtney started giggling, "She was like, you guys are gonna get married in 5 years." Courtney finished.

"Dad, you there ? On three." the doctor said. "3, 2,1, Push Court! " 

   Then I heard the most incredible sound.  My baby boys first cries.   "6 pounds, 8 ounces.  18 inches long, no vision or hearing problems." a nurse called out.  I didn't realize I was holding my breath until I let it out. 

"Christian, can you tell me more stories? " Court looked so tired, and she was about to push out Andrew.  

"Anything for you, darling." 

  "Remember when,  We went to Italy and you met my nonna,?"  

Courtney smiled at the memory.  "Oh gosh, She was worse than you."

   I laughed cause it was true.   "She put us in the room farthest back, and told us we weren't leaving Italy until we made her great grandkids."

Courtney started laughing. "It was mortifying when your nonna threatened us." 

We both started belly laughing.   The other players were coming on the bus, but I didn't give a shit, I had to make my baby laugh while she was in pain.

       Courtney screamed again.  I guess Andrew didn't want to wait anymore. "Keep telling me the stories Christian." I rolled my eyes, trying to think of one.

"Remember when you first got drunk ? You only had a half shot, and you were shit faced." 

  The guy beside me busted out laughing,  I was going to punch him, until I realized it was coach. 

"You promised to never bring that up again." Courtney groaned.

  "Push on 3, 3-2-1 " the doctor yelled out.

"Push Cara."   Courtney let out another scream, and then Andrew started to cry.

"7 pounds even, 18 inches long, no hearing or vision problems."  Everyone on the bus cheered when they heard that.  

  The nurse placed the babies in Courtney's arms.  "Hey Anthony, Hey Andrew, open your eyes for your daddy."    Their little eyelids fluttered, and finally opened. 

"Wow." I exclaimed.  They both had dark blue eyes, just like everyone in my family, and black hair, just like me. 

  "You did that Court."

"Nope, we did it" Courtney smiled. 

I just stared at my phone until we reached the stadium.   

"You're beautiful, Cara."

She laughed. "Chris, I look like 25 shades of no."

  "Still beautiful Court."