part twelve: a sober minute

Harry's opened his eyes as he sunk deeper into the bed he was on, silk brown sheets surrounding him with a heavy black comforter at his feet.

Beside him was a brown, wooden nightside table. It looked pretty worn. On top of the table was a glass of water filled half way and a plain piece of toast.

His mind was still weary and a little warped as he tried to figure out where he was. Slowly, he got up and stumbled out of the bedroom he was in and into a living room where a man was sitting with a book cracked open above his crossed legs.

"Hellooo?" Harry slurred in a sing song voice, waving his hands around as if he was attempted jazz hands.

The man turned around and smiled, putting his book down. "You slept for five minutes Harry,"

That voice sounded familiar. Harry stood quiet, studying the man's face until he pieced together the information he was computing slowly. His hazel eyes, dark brown hair, beautiful body.

Zayn. 

"Zayn?" Harry asked, looking around then back at him. "Where's Niall?"

"You're staying with me tonight," He said softly. "And this is the second time that you forgot who I was. How fucked are you?"

"Pretty fucked," Harry smiled, stumbling over to the couch where he plopped down next to Zayn, leaning his head on Zayn's lap and stretching his legs over the armrest. 

Zayn smiled as Harry curled up against him, so he opened his book again and began skimming until Harry turned around, his chin resting on Zayn's calf and trailing his fingers up to the zipper on Zayn's jeans.

"I've been wanting to do this forever," Harry spoke with a smile, unzipping them slowly.

As much as Zayn wanted it, he couldn't let Harry do this to him under these circumstances. 

"Hey, hey," Zayn flinched back as he lifted Harry's chin with his pointer finger. "You're not in the right state of mind," he said softly.

Harry looked at Zayn for a second and then sat back up. "Kiss me then," he said, his sober thoughts spilling out.

Watching Harry's eyes, Zayn chuckled. "You're drunk Harry,"

Harry nodded, smirking. "Touché," he said. 

It was quiet for a moment between the two boys. Harry wanted to kiss Zayn ever so badly. Every bit of his body, his bones, his soul. He felt like he needed to kiss Zayn. The want was so much for him to handle. Harry craved Zayn. 

"You know, you could be like.. My husband?" Harry bantered on, propping his head up with his hands, his eyes glued to Zayn's. 

With a laugh, Zayn ran his fingers through Harry's hair. "You are so, so fucked,"

"I'll be sober soon," Harry said dreamily. "And I'll forget all of this, but you'll remember it all,"

Zayn listened as Harry continued on. 

"My family got so mad at me for bringing you to the cottage. They got pissed!" Harry laughed at the thought, his mind not completely in reality. "They said they don't trust me anymore, and that you could've killed them,"

"You're joking," Zayn said, his eyes widening. 

"No sir," Harry shook his head frantically. "I wasn't really listening though, you know why?"

"Why was that Harry?"

"Because I was thinking about you," Harry said, looking at Zayn directly. "I was looking out of the window and I was just thinking.. Wow. I think I love that man,"

Zayn felt his heart in his chest, and Harry didn't even realize what was coming out of his mouth. 

"I've only known you for about two weeks, but you're a pretty cool lad," Harry poked at Zayn's chest when he was saying this, not failing to keep his feelings in. "I don't know what love is honestly, but I know that when I'm with you, even though I'm pretending to be angry with you.. I actually have a lot of butterflies in here.."

Harry poked Zayn's stomach, but motioned towards his own. "I think I do love you," he said, smiling. "I never thought I could love anyone, I never thought I could have those kinds of feelings.. Maybe that's because I've never met anyone was smart and talented.. And gorgeous as you,"

Zayn didn't know what to say as he listened to Harry.

Harry blabbered on, slowly going off topic. For a sober minute, Harry felt butterflies heave in his stomach.

"I'm a little bit tired," Harry said after a while of going off on a tangent. "Can I sleep here?"

Beaming at Harry warmly, Zayn nodded. "That's why you're here,"

Zayn stood up, and took Harry's hand in his. Harry stood up, gaining his balance before following Zayn back into his bedroom.

Harry plopped onto the bed, pulling the silk sheets on top of him and curling up against Zayn's pillow.

"I'll sleep on the couch tonight, yeah?" Zayn spoke, pulling the black comforter up to Harry's shoulders. 

"No, no," Harry shook his head drowsily. "Kiss me goodnight Zayn,"

The way Zayn's name rolled off Harry's lips made Zayn want to do more than kiss him.

"You're drunk Harry," Zayn said for about the hundredth time.

"You keep telling me that," Harry replied. "You don't want to kiss me do you?"

"I-" Zayn took a deep breath. "I haven't said anything tonight because I want you to remember what I said tomorrow morning," 

"Well when I'm sober," Harry said, his eyes closing. "I want you to make out with me all day,"

Zayn chuckled, pressing his hand against Harry's cheek gently. "I'll keep that in mind love,"

"I'll see you on the other side," Harry laughed at himself, dazed. 

Zayn sat on the edge of the bed until Harry fell asleep, and then left, closing the door behind him.

~

Three hours later, Harry woke up to take a sip of water. He picked the glass on the nightside table up and brought it to his lips, looking around the dark room he was in.

He rubbed his eyes, confused as to why Niall had left him here. It took a minute for him to recount the previous nights events.

All he remembered was seeing Zayn at the car window, and attempting to unzip his jeans.

Holy shit.

"Zayn?" Harry called, hoping he was still awake.

It was silent for an instant, followed by rustling and then lazy footsteps.

The handle on the door twisted, and with tired eyes, there stood Zayn.

"Sober?" he spoke, his sleepy voice just about the sexiest thing Harry had ever heard.

"I think so," Harry smiled at his sight.

Zayn stood in the doorway for a moment, until he stepped into the room and closed the door behind him.

"Scoot over love," he said quietly as Harry obliged.

Zayn laid down next to Harry and placed his arm around him gently, holding him close to his body.

"Did I do something stupid?" Harry asked after he had settled in Zayn's arms.

With a soft chuckle and a kiss on Harry's shoulder, Zayn shook his head. "Not at all."