Chapter 11

I don't like writing chapters without Harry in them :( but sometimes it's gotta be done lol. Enjoy! I'm having internet connectivity issues so whenever I get an internet connection I'll update as much as possible (that would be right now), so sorry if I go awhile without updating. I'm trying my best! 

____________________________

I hadn’t seen Miles around the house for a couple days, so it surprised me when his car was in the driveway Wednesday night.  My mom and I had gone out to dinner because I was rarely home to eat with her anymore.  It had been nice to talk to her; about my job, my friends.  I had always told my mom everything, so it was a new thing for her to be missing a week of my life.

It wasn’t a good end to my night to find that Miles was back from wherever he’d been hiding.  My mom paused slightly in her steps at the sight of his car, but didn’t even blink as she resumed her trek to the door.  I wanted to stop her and go back to where we were only moments ago, happy without Miles in our lives.  But it seemed that wasn’t an option.

So I followed her into the house.  If I couldn’t convince her to kick Miles out of our lives, I could at least be there for her if something went wrong.

I closed and locked the front door behind us, taking off my sweater and throwing it on the chair by the door.

“No, young man.  You better bring that upstairs and hang it up,” my mom raised her eyebrows at me, as if daring me to disobey.

I rolled my eyes, but grabbed it off the chair and made my way upstairs.  I took my time, thinking maybe my mom didn’t want me around while she talked to Miles.  I walked back into the hallway and leaned over the railing, hearing their voices carry up the stairs.

“You’re overreacting, Maura.  I love you, alright?”  Miles’ voice was hushed, but sound traveled quite well through our house.  “We’ll have more family time, or something.”

When my mom didn’t say anything, Miles continued.

“I promise.”

They were both quiet for a while, but my mom must have relented because I heard Miles sigh in relief.  I shook my head in disbelief.  I couldn’t believe she was forgiving him.

I heard a creak to my right, and looked to see Payton leaning out of her room.  We looked at one another for a long moment before either of us spoke.

“You know, I agree with you,” she said quietly.

I gave her a curious look.  It was rare for her to ever speak to me, let alone agree with me about anything.

“She shouldn’t have forgiven him.”

I didn’t respond because I didn’t need to.  Payton joined me at the railing, both of us standing in companionable silence as we listened to our parents; two different parents to two different children.  I’d never really thought about how Payton must feel, but I thought about it now.  She was in the same situation as me, yet I couldn’t decide how she really felt about her father.  Did she love him like I loved my mom?  How could she when Miles was so terrible?

I had no right to judge, though.  After all, my mom was the one making the mistake this time, choosing to forgive Miles.  He’d made plenty of mistakes, but this one was hers.  Sometimes, we can’t help but love our parents.

Harry Haz Hazza Har Har Your New Best Friend The Sexy Beast Styles:

Favorite movie?

Me: