Chapter 7: Part 1

This chapter was once again too long, so I split it in two!

________________________________________

I watched carefully as a little boy struggled to get out of the slide pool.  I’d offered my help, but he’d insisted he do it on his own.  I relaxed once he’d made it up the steps and run back up the stairs for the slide again.

I yelped in surprise when something knocked into me, splashing water everywhere and making me stumble.  I sighed when I looked to my left and saw Harry, his hands resting on my shoulder and a grin on his face.  His snapback was green today, and he looked like Christmas with the combination of the hat and red lifeguard trunks.

“What was that for?” I asked him.

“Their was a ladybug on you,” Harry smiled.  “Right...there.”

Harry’s index finger poked a spot on my back, close to my neck.  I shivered from the cold water.

“So, naturally, your first reaction was to jump on me,” I responded sarcastically.

“Naturally,” Harry smirked and I rolled my eyes.

Two girls came out of the slides at once, both arguing about who had reached the bottom first as soon as they’d surfaced.  They must’ve raced each other.  I’d learned just from observation that the closed slide was faster.

The two lifeguards posted at the dive pool blew their whistles three times, signalling that it was time to get out of the pool for the safety sweep.  Once I made sure there weren’t anymore people going down the slide, Harry pulled me out of the slide pool and into the dive pool, where all the other lifeguards were congregating.  We slid into the water and held onto the edge.  Craig swam up to us and treaded the water to keep afloat.  I was actually impressed at how easy it was for him.

“Guys, guess what?” the smile on his face was enormous.

“What?” Harry and I asked at the same time, looking to each other and smiling.

“Natalie was guarding the dive pool and she found like a three-ounce bottle of vodka floating in the pool,” Craig burst out laughing.

“Holy shit,” Harry laughed disbelievingly, his eyes wide.

“Why are you both laughing? That’s horrible!” I shook my head at both of them, even though I was smiling too.  “What if some toddler had found it and drank from it?”

Harry nudged my arm with his hand, which was resting next to mine on the edge.

“It’s fine, Niall,” Harry said.

“Yeah, it was full when she found it,” Craig assured me.  “I just mean, who would bring that to a waterpark full of children?”

Harry shrugged.

“I’ve literally been telling like everyone.  It’s hilarious,” Craig laughed again.  “Oh!  There’s Becca.  She’s gonna flip.”

Craig swam off towards her, despite Harry’s protests.  The look on his face said it all.  Becca would not think it was funny one bit, but Craig seemed to be counting on that fact.

“So, hey.  Am I just gonna follow you to your house after work?” Harry asked, pulling my attention away from Craig and Becca.

“Yeah, it’s not very far.  You didn’t bring a suit, did you?” I asked sheepishly.

“Nah, I decided I’d tone it down a bit,” Harry winked.

“Much appreciated.”

“You’re working tomorrow, aren’t you?” Harry asked, but I think he already knew.