Chapter 4: Part 2

Second part of Chapter 4

____________________________________

I could thankfully say that nothing else too exciting happened the rest of the day.  Harry ‘dancing’ to “Talk Dirty” definitely didn’t count.  I had had to blow my whistle for the first time to make him stop and pay attention to his own station.  I had yelled at him to “stop trying to impress the ladies with your terrible dancing skills,” which had gotten some odd looks from guests.

I’d made some new friends during each break.  It was a little hard for me to open up to people, especially when Harry’s break and my break didn’t match up.  He was the outgoing one and the person who, lately, had brought me out of my shell.  But I’d managed without him.  Craig was a cool guy, and I really liked Drew.  I hadn’t really gotten a chance to talk to a lot of other people, but I was hoping I would at some point this summer.

It was almost nine, closing time, and most all the guests had left.  A couple were still gathering their things, but soon it would be time to clean everything up and close everything down.  The concessions stand was already closed, but we still had to close all of the umbrellas and fold the chairs.

I looked around and noticed the other lifeguards heading towards the shed.  I ran to join them, handing Harry my life preserver for him to put away.  The other lifeguards went to work on the chairs, but I waited for Harry to close and lock the shed.  He turned to face me, and we stared at each other for a minute before Harry broke the silence.

“Let’s go get ice cream.”

I let out a small laugh at the randomness of the statement, but then nodded my head in a ‘yes.’

“Awesome,” Harry said.

I glanced around at the other employees.

“We should probably help out,” I rose my eyebrows at Harry.

“Yeah,” Harry dragged out the word.  “Or we could just sneak out real quick.”

I gave Harry a pointed look.

“Okay, fine.  You wanna help, let’s help,” Harry sighed dramatically and trudged next to me.

“How are you a senior employee?  Does anyone have an answer?” I rolled my eyes as Harry shrugged in response.  “You never want to help, and you break the rules constantly.”

“Alright, you caught me,” Harry lifted his hands in a surrender pose.  “It’s my charm that’s gotten me through life.  That and my sexy ass.”

Harry walked in front of me and started shaking his butt.  A burst of laughter broke forth from my mouth and I kicked his butt to get him to start walking again.

“Yeah, right,” I muttered.

“You don’t believe me?” Harry arched his brow and put on a smug expression.  “Just ask John.”

He winked, and then ran ahead of me to a set of chairs while I groaned in disgust.

“Ew, don’t go there,” I frowned, while Harry just laughed.

Harry and I folded the chairs and closed the remaining umbrellas, looking around and making sure there wasn’t anything else, before heading back to the locker room with the rest of the staff.  It was dark outside now, and I had to look down while I walked so I wouldn’t trip.  The bright lights of the employee building hurt my eyes at first, before they adjusted.

I’d never been in the locker room when it was this crowded.  All the employees were in here now, gathering their stuff and pulling on their clothes over their swimsuits.  I didn’t need to change because my trunks weren’t wet, but I did pull on my shirt and vans, and grabbed my keys and wallet from my locker.  I grabbed my phone and shut my locker, scanning the room for Harry.  I spotted him as he shut his locker and walked over.  It was a little louder in here due to all the people, so Harry had to almost yell for me to hear him.