Chapter 9

Kind of a short chapter again, sorry!  I'm kind of speeding through the less busy days so we can skip to the fun days lol

__________________________________________

I walked into work on Monday, the smell of chlorine once again hitting me square in the face.  Today, I was gonna guess a black snapback, since he hadn’t worn it in a while.  I grinned in victory when I walked into the locker room and saw that I was right.

“Good afternoon, Styles,” I greeted Harry, walking past him on the way to my locker.

He twisted around and smiled at me.

“Niall,” he sounded relieved for some reason.  “How was work yesterday?”

I studied his face for a moment, while I opened my locker, stuffing my keys and everything inside.  He looked tired, his eyes rimmed in red and lacking the spark I’d gotten used to so quickly.

“It was fine,” I said, distractedly.  “Is everything alright?”

He nodded and closed his locker to lean against it, but instead of his usual relaxed posture, he looked like the wall was actually keeping him standing.  Without it, he might fall over.  I got really worried then.

“Are you sure?  Because-” someone calling my name cut me off.

I looked past Harry to see Brian and Natalie walking in together.  They must’ve arrived at the same time.

“Hey, Brian,” I said, as he approached us.  “Ready for your first day?”

He looked nervous, so I smiled to make him feel a little better.

“Just remember what I told you yesterday; there’s no way you’ll mess up as bad as I did,” I raised my eyebrows, and he laughed upon remembering.

“Who knows?  Maybe I will,” he shrugged and seemed to notice Harry standing there.  “Hey, I’m Brian.”

Harry had been watching our conversation, but when he realized Brian was talking to him, he straightened off the lockers and smiled.

“Harry.  Nice to meet you,” he introduced himself.

His smile was back, but he still didn’t look quite the same.

“Alright, well I’m gonna put my stuff up,” Brian said, nodding at both of us, before finding his locker.

“Are you friends with him?” Harry asked, once he was out of earshot.

“I guess,” I answered, pulling my shirt off and grabbing my hip pack and whistle.  “I met him yesterday, when he was getting trained.  I just showed him around a bit, and he like shadowed me for the rest of the day.  He’s pretty cool, though.  Reminds me a lot of me.”

I shut my locker, and looked at Harry, who was looking down at his feet.

“Are you sure you’re alright?” I asked, worriedly.  “Tell me the truth.”

Harry looked back up at me, but didn’t say anything for a whole minute.  He looked like he was thinking about his answer, and apparently settled on one.

“I’m good.  Let’s head to the meeting,” Harry said, motioning over his shoulder.

I knew something was wrong, and it appeared that Harry knew I knew.  So why was he keeping it from me?  I know I hadn’t known him the longest, but I’d showed him a really private side of my life on Saturday, and I’d yet to really receive anything in return.  I realized that everyone went through stuff, so I had no right to judge him for being secretive, but I also was worried about him.  He’d shared how he felt about college and Duke, but I wasn’t sure if that counted, since it had been an accident really.  But this was different.  He was upset about something, and wouldn’t tell me.  I just wanted to help him, was all.