Chapter 4: Part 1

The link below is what their life preservers look like, except yellow! Enjoy!

http://www.campcuriosity.com/uploads/4/9/1/7/4917219/119179020.jpg?444

_______________________________

I felt a sense of deja-vu when I walked into the employee building, seeing the front desk, and once again not knowing where to go.  Laura, I remembered her name from last time, looked up when she heard the door open.

“Niall Horan?” she asked me.

“Yes,” I answered, relieved.

“John said to meet him in the break room, and he’d get you started.”

I nodded my head and thanked her, as I walked toward the break room door.

John was already there, along with several other senior employees.  I smiled and greeted him when he said ‘hello.’

“Alright, so first off, you’re trunks,” John led me over to a large cabinet that had a lock on it.

He unlocked it and opened the doors to reveal shelves with red swimsuits stacked in piles.  He reached up and grabbed three pairs of red swim trunks, and handed them to me.

“We’re giving you three because you’re working full time.  This way, you won’t have to wash them every night.”

I nodded in response.

“Here’s your hip pack.  I know it may look dorky, but it’s necessary.  This is what you store medical equipment, band-aids, gauze pads, all of that in,” John handed me what looked like a small red fanny pack with a white cross Lifeguard logo on the front. “The logo ensures that people know you’re a lifeguard, if the red trunks don’t make it clear.”

He reached to the top shelf and pulled down a container full of whistles.  Each one was linked onto a red chain.  He untangled them and handed me one.

“Wear this around your neck.  Only blow it if that’s the only way to get a guest’s attention.  And only if they’re doing something stupid,” John smirked.

I laughed softly and nodded my head again.

“You also get a hoodie for when it might rain.  We do close if there are signs of thunder or lightning, but if not, we’re still open,” he grabbed a red hoodie that said ‘Guard’ on the front over the white cross, enclosed in a triangle. “I guessed a medium.”

“Medium is good,” I responded, taking it from him and slinging it over my shoulder.

I waited as he locked the cabinet and grabbed a clipboard, and then followed him through another door that led to the locker room.  

“You’re locker number is…” he looked down the list of names until he found mine. “...eighty-seven.  And your combination will be..eighteen...twenty-two...seven,” he spoke as he wrote down the combination on a sticky note.

He handed the sticky note to me, and pointed to locker eighty-seven.

“Try opening it, and make sure that it works.”

I nodded and walked over to it, trying the combination, and smiling when it opened.  I put my wallet, keys, and phone inside, then turned back around without closing it.

“Well, that’s all I have for you.  Get changed, and I’m sure other employees will be arriving shortly.  You are permitted to wear sunglasses, and always wear sunscreen.  I can see that you’re a little burned already,” John pointed out my red skin, and smiled.

“Yeah, I forgot that rule yesterday,” I smiled sheepishly.

“That’s okay.  Just make sure to be careful.  The sun can be mean sometimes.  Once you’re dressed, I think there are some senior employees setting up outside, so if you feel like going out and helping, I’m sure they’d appreciate it.”