Cocky Alarm Clock

..::Chapter Eight::..

..:Faith Ellsworth's P.O.V.::..

The weatherman talking at about a mile a minute interrupts my dreamless sleep and I groan, squeezing my eyes tighter as if to somehow mute the radio alarm clock that sits on my nightstand mocking me. I huff, kicking the sheets to the foot of the bed, and glare at my alarm clock as it looks smugly at me.

“Ha. Ha. I woke you up early just to ruin your morning and now you look like a zombie. In your face,” I can practically hear it taunting at me. With one hand, I adjust my pajama top that was twisted around weirdly, and with my other hand, I backhand the cheeky alarm clock with a satisfied grin as I watch it clatter onto the wooden floors. Not so cocky now, are you?

I pluck my uniform out of my closet and toss it on, absentmindedly thinking about last night. My cheeks heat up just thinking about the incident in my bedroom last night. Hasn't he never heard of a front door? I mean, the dude climbed up the vines along side of my house, jumped onto the roof, and through my freaking bedroom window. 

I do my usual morning routine before heading downstairs. Mother Dearest is sitting at the table, a cup of coffee in her hand and another set across from her. I lunge for the cup and inhale its sweet and cinnamon aroma. Wait, cinnamon? She only puts cinnamon in my coffee when she is about to tell me something unpleasant. 

I take a sip, my eyes boring into her forehead. "Faith, I'm going to be gone for a month." Way to not beat around the bush. I've never liked bushes anyway. They're like fat and short wannabe trees. It's not right.

I cock my head. "Where are you going and when?"

She sighs and replies, "New York and today." Wow, way to let me know ahead of time. "I have a job I have to do up there. Do you think you can stay here and be a responsible adult for thirty days?"

I roll my eyes. "I'm pretty sure I'm capable of staying home along for a month. It's not like you're here much at all anyways," I mumble. 

She heaves another sigh. If I had a dollar for the amount of times she's sighed in my lifetime, I'd be richer than the president. "I know but someone has to pay the bills."

"Whatever. I've got to go to school." I stand up and gulp down the rest of my coffee.

"Faith, It's Saturday. There is no school today."

..::::..

I roll over on my bed causing the springs to creak beneath me. Mother Dearest left an hour ago for New Freaking York. I get that she has a job to do, I really do, but sometimes I just wish that she would just talk to me. I mean she gave me only three hours notice before she went off for a month.

Slightly downcast and unusually bored, I decide to call Wade. I would call either Sylvia or Chloe but I didn't get a chance to get their numbers. He picks up on the third ring.

"Hello? Faith?" his groggy voice sounds through my phone. 

He probably just woke up. I glance at my clock. It's nearly lunch time. I wonder what he looks like, all sleep disoriented and disheveled.

'Probably sexy as hell.' Jiminyy butts in. 

'Who asked you, Jiminy?' I mentally retort. 

'Actually, Grumpy Locks, you did. You asked yourself what he'd look like, which means that you practically asked me for my--our--opinion.'

My face contorts in perplexity but the sound of Wade's voice jerks me back to reality. "Faith? Temperance Faith Ellsworth!" 

I gasp with both vexation and interest. "H-How the hell did you find out about that?" 

I've always despised the name Temperance and Dad was the only one aloud to call me Tempy. Once he died, though, Mom let me legally change my name for Faith, which was my middle name. 

"I have my sources," he says and I can practically hear the amusement in his voice. 

I mull something over for a minute before scowling to myself. "Let me guess... Trevor?"

"Yeah. That's how I knew about you're birthday too."

"Whatever. Do you want to come over or something?"

"I can't." He sighs. "I'm babysitting my little sister." He sounds sad for some reason. Does he not like his sister or something?

"How old is she?" I ask curiously. 

"Five. If you don't mind her annoying you to death, you can come over," he suggests, sounding hopeful.

My heart just about leaps out of my chest. He's inviting me over. Wade Ryker is inviting me over. To his house.

"Yeah! I'd love to!" I exclaim, sounding way too excited. I cringe at the urgency in my voice. "I mean, sure, that would be cool," I add, trying to sound nonchalant.

It obviously doesn't work because he says, "Hold your horses. You don't know where I live, so don't hang up yet. I actually only live a few streets down from you on Knoll Lane. It's the first house on the right. Can't miss it. See you soon." He chuckles, hanging up.

I go to fist pump, but forget the home phone is in my hand, so I watch as it flies across the room and crashes against the wall. Shiitake mushrooms. I figure I have a month to replace it before Mother Dearest finds out about it, so I leave it on the floor and wander over to my closet.

I put on a white baggy knit sweater with random multi-colored polka dots all over it, a pair of faded short jean shorts, and white thigh-high socks. I bend down to lace up my blue Doc Martins that I haven't been able to wear since I started going to Devonshire Academy and put my hair into one long braid down my back. 

I stuff my cell phone into my shoes and head out to find Wade's house.

..::Author's Note::..

Cliff hanger alert! Sorry it was shorter than usual! Make sure you comment and vote and then I'll update the next chapter ASAP!