chapter 16 - Notice

I was a free bird until I had married Ayaan and for the little over one month that I had been his wife, it had been nothing but a nightmare. I was a prisoner in my house and finally I had the opportunity to free myself, maybe just a little but I was hopeful. Hopeful that things would change for the good, hopeful that God is testing me and He has written for me a better future with Ayaan and hopeful that Ayaan would love me just the way I did.

Ever since I started chatting with him before our wedding, he made me go head over heals for him for no apparent reason. He did nothing 'romantic' or anything to make me feel special and yet he made for himself, a special place in my heart.

I had the worst times with him and even though I thought really bad about him, I couldn’t help but get rid of those negative feelings towards him. Even though what he had done couldn’t be justified, his good side made me fall for him more and more and before I knew it, I was in love with him. And it was time for me to do everything in my power to make him fall in love with me. I didn’t know how to flirt or seduce, but I was confident, merely as everyone I knew loved me and I was sure as hell an awesome person which he would see someday.

I didn’t want to make any rash decisions and wanted to take my time to decide on his punishment and the two privileges that I would 'unlock'. It was weird how he made it sound so official, that was the first thing I intended to change once we got comfortable with each other. The way he told me to take my time in deciding my rewards, it did make me slow down and go over the list again. There was nothing in there which made much sense but there were things that I could live with.

Finally after observing him for three days, I went up to him with my decision. He was tired after work but extremely happy as he cracked a deal and he was getting a promotion soon. I didn’t ask much details about work as I was unsure about his response. It seemed like the perfect time to talk.

I went up to his bedroom and knocked. After a while he opened the door and looked at me with a blank face. As always he didn’t open the door fully, like there was some hidden treasure there which he thought I would steal.

“I’ve made my decision”, I said and gave him my biggest smile. I made my way to the drawing room after him and sat on the couch next to him.

“Go ahead”, he said. He looked so good when he was all relaxed and happy, I would trade my life to see him happy that way forever.

I opened the file, a copy that he had given me and read, “The privileges that I would like to 'unlock' are access to WiFi and permission to revoke one of your rules.”

I sensed a bit of uneasiness in him when I said that. “Why revoke a rule when you have other privileges that you can unlock?”

I sighed and continued, "Let’s see, I’m comfortable talking to my parents once a week, I’m not a big fan of T.V, we can control the temperature of the house so opening or not opening the windows doesn’t make much of a difference to me, I’m very much comfortable cooking your choice of meal, it helps me know you better”, I smiled and looked at him while I said that, hoping to get a reaction but to vain, his face was as still as a rock.

“If lunch or dinner is once a month, I might as well skip it as it doesn’t make any difference and I already eat with you everyday. You were really sweet to add furniture to my room and I love my room so much that I would love to spend my day there than in the drawing room. So it leaves me with just two options”, I sighed again. This was the first time when I said these many words to him. Probably the last time too, depending on how he responded.

“ You are smarter than I want you to be”, I smiled ear to ear and it dropped when he continued, “and I don’t like that.”

“Well you might as well get used to it as I’m not going anywhere”, I said and I thought I heard a chuckle. I looked at him and he composed himself. Did that actually make him happy?