chapter 11 - Rules and privilages

“Who gave you the permission to sleep on the couch?”, Anger erupting through him.

I was still struggling to catch my breath. Unable to understand his words clearly, all I could say was, “sorry?”

“I told you, that is your room”, he pointed towards the empty room and then ran his pointed finger around the house. “This is my space. The only time you enter my space is when you are permitted to.”

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. He was looking at me with fiery eyes, waiting for my response, “oh ok.” I still struggled, trying to talk hurt my throat.

“I’m going to work. I’ll be back by 5:00 pm. Your breakfast is on the table and I want the document next to it signed by the time I’m back.”. He said and placed the empty glass on the table. Without waiting for my response, he stormed out of the house and locked the door.

I didn’t understand what happened and why it happened. Back in India he would wake me up softly but this was outrageous. We had been married just for a month. I needed to wake up now, this had to be a nightmare. I slapped myself but it didn’t help. I slapped myself again and again until I fell on the floor crying. Why was this happening? What did I do to deserve it?

I sat there on the floor until my eyes were numb crying. I got up and noticed that my clothes were all wet. I took my bags to my empty room and pulled out fresh clothes. The door to the washroom from my room was locked so I had to the one outside. My stomach was growling terribly and I made my way to the dinning table.

I was confused. The man who threw water on my face while I was asleep, had made breakfast for me instead of waking me up and asking me to prepare it. He made pasta for breakfast and the kitchen was a mess. I sat on the chair and noticed the file next to my plate. Hungry as I was, I first ate. After cleaning up the kitchen I was tired and decided to check the file later as I had all day to go through it.

I took my phone to inform my parents that I had reached but I couldn't father the courage to call them. I couldn’t tell them how my day had started so I decided to send them a text but my network was still out and I didn’t have access to Wi-Fi. I turned on the television but there was no cable connection either. We had recently arrived so it might take a few days for everything to be set up. Disheartened, I kept my phone aside and took the file from the dining table. I opened it and the first page read,

As salamualaikum,

The following are the rules and regulations that I will adhere to as long as I am married to Ayaan Rasheed.

1. Washing feet before leaving and after entering the house.
2. Allowed to eat breakfast after completing the fajr prayer, lunch after zohr prayer, tea/coffee after asar prayer and dinner after Isha prayer.
3. Not allowed to sleep after fajr prayer nor allowed to stay awake an hour post Isha prayer.
4. Stepping out of the house requires Ayaan’s approval.
5. Talking to strangers is strictly prohibited.
6. As Ayaan will be taking care of my expenses, only he has the authority to make decisions on my behalf.
7. Not allowed to eat without Ayaan's permission.
8. Cannot shower more than once a week.
9. Not allowed to open windows or doors during his absence.
10. No guests allowed what so ever.
11. Not allowed to enter his room except for cleaning, only after acquiring Ayaan’s approval.
12. Everything should be where it belongs at all times.
13. Allowed to make calls only to family, once a week in Ayaan’s presence.

I will be responsible for cleaning and cooking in the house and will adhere to all the rules and regulations stated above under my free will. Failure to which can lead to severe consequences.

_______________
Safa Hayath

_______________
Ayaan Rasheed

I just stared at it in shock, this wasn’t real. It couldn’t be real. It was absurd. I had to sign that I accept all of that under my 'free' will. How could that be signed under any sane human being's free will. I put the file on the table and started moving around the house in concern. Was it normal? I couldn’t believe that I was married to this guy, just the thought of what could be on the next page sent shivers down my spine. I was nauseated. But I couldn’t be a coward, I couldn't possibly be scared of reading a piece of paper. Hesitantly, I took the file and turned to the next page and read.

As salamualaikum,

As you have accepted all the rules and regulations, here a few privileges that can be unlocked based on your behavior on a weekly basis. You are free to unlock any one of the following privileges if given the opportunity by me(Ayaan)  Any of the acquired privileges can be revoked in case of bad behavior and I have the final say.

1. Allowed to talk to parents once in 3 days. Only in my presence.
2. Allowed to watch television for an hour a day.
3. Do not need approval to open the windows.
4. Allowed to cook your choice of meal.
5. Lunch or dinner in your choice of restaurant once a month.
6. Adding a piece of furniture to your room.
7. Allowed to use the drawing room.
8. Revoke any one of the rules. (Need Ayaan’s approval.)
9. Access to WiFi.

_______________
Safa Hayath

_______________
Ayaan Rasheed

I was indignant as his wife and a human being. He had no right to impose such absurd rules on me. And since when had talking to my parents become a privilege? It did not make any sense. None of them made any sense. He was totally out of his mind for having drafted that. I had it with him, first with my clothes, then with the dinner, the driver, the list went on. I really had to talk to him. I took the file again and read, I decided to violate all of his rules. He had absolutely no authority to treat me like a slave.

I tried to open the main door but it was locked, I went to the patio and it was locked too. I couldn’t believe he had locked me inside my house. I could open the windows but it was too cold outside, so I thought of opening it a few minutes before he would arrive. I was curious to know what was inside his room that I was restricted to go there without his permission. I tried to open the door but it was locked too. I tried to enter through the connecting washroom but the washroom itself was locked.

I didn’t know what to do next, I was all alone locked inside a house without any access to the outside world. It was almost lunch time and I had to cook. As bad as I was, I wasn’t expecting myself to make a mind blowing dish without the help of YouTube. Just something edible was my aim. When I opened the cabinets, I saw that everything was healthy, low or 0% fat, low iodine and low sodium ingredients, gluten free products. He definitely was a fitness freak, also a psychotic one.

After spending a day alone, most of which I had slept through, I managed to have a closer look at the house and got familiar with the space. It was 4:50 pm and I went and opened all the windows. Just out of curiosity as to what worse could he do. There was nothing that he could do which he hadn’t done already. I had to be strong, I couldn't be weak. All I could do was wait, wait for the clock to hit 5:00 pm. As the clock ticked, my anxiety started kicking in and I got restless. My valiance started to wear off and reality hit me, I was not strong enough to face him, alone. My hands were trembling with fear and I quickly went and shut all the windows. As soon as the clock hit 5:00 pm, the door unlocked.

__________

Hello my lovely readers 🥰,

It feels great to be able to update and I will try my best not to disappear like I did and update every Wednesday.
I hope you are enjoying my story.
Please do shower your love by hitting the star in the bottom left corner of your screen and leaving comments.
I'll be more than happy to respond to all of you and work on the feedbacks.

Much love ❤️ ❤️❤️