chapter 10 - First warning

The airport see off wasn't easy. It was worse than my bidai. I was so overjoyed about going to America, that it wasn't until I reached the airport that I realized that I won't get to meet my family for months or even a year or two. People were looking at us but I didn't care, I cried my heart out . It wasn't just my family but also Ayaan's that I was going to miss. Just in a month, his family had become my family too.

Just as we were boarding, my excitement was was getting back in. I was going to America, the land of dreams. And who knew, if I would get to work there. Having my money and an independent life, in a foreign country. I wasn't just going to my new home but also to my honeymoon in a week. I was very hopeful that everything was going to get better with Ayaan and I couldn't wait to start this exciting journey with him.

We had to take 2 flights to get to Washington and it was very disappointing that our seats were not next to each other. Apparently it was either sitting separately in business class or squashing ourselves for more than ten hours in economy, which either way did not matter as it was my first time in an air plane. Ayaan preferred the first option. Though I didn't mind getting squished next to Ayaan, I preferred a comfortable journey, as we were going to live together. I spent most of the time sleeping, I tried not to think about my family as it would sadden me and I managed to watch 'Inside Out' and 'Hotel Transylvania 2'.

When we reached Washington, I was thrilled. All my tiredness disappeared when I stepped out of the airport. It was cold, I wasn't used to this drop in temperature but the people there seemed to have been used to it. I looked around and noticed everything was clean and tidy. I could sleep there on the streets without any worries, provided I didn't mind freezing to death. Not a single animal on the road, no potholes and no one screaming in traffic. It seemed like heaven.

The taxi stopped in front of a small villa, surrounded by identical villas around it. The only difference between them were the door numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if I were to get lost there. The driver helped us get the luggage inside. When he noticed that I was struggling to get a luggage bag inside, he offered to help and place it inside the house as Ayaan was already in placing the other bags inside.

"Thank you", I smiled.

"No problem. You have a great day", he said in the American accent. It was definitely going to take time to get used to it. That was very nice of him. Were all Americans warm and friendly?.

I shut the door and turned around to take a good look at my house and I saw Ayaan staring at me. There was darkness in his eyes, it was worse than the one I saw on our first night. I looked at him trying to recall if I did something to upset him but there was nothing.

"Don't you have any shame? Talking to a strange man, that too in front of your husband", he was angry. I was taken aback, unsure of what was going on. It was just a casual thank you.

"I just said thank you"

"Oh really?. What about the look that you both exchanged?"

"What look? I cannot believe your thought could stoop down to this level", I was really hurt. How could he think so low of me?. Though we didn't know each other well, he didn't have any right to think that about me.

His eyes got darker, scaring me again. He came up to me and held me by my arm, his grip was painful. " Listen to me very carefully. You talk to no one here without my permission. This is your first warning. Am I clear?"

I looked at him, not knowing how to react.

"Am I clear?", he screamed on top of his voice this time straight into my ear, deafening me.

It was too loud and I got goosebumps all over my body. My heartbeat was racing faster than ever and the closeness between us suffocated me. I wasn't able to say anything but nod quickly. My eyes pleading him to let me go and tears filled in. He let go of my arm and moved away.

He turned around and pointer toward a room, "that's your room", then he pointed toward the room next to it and said, "this is mine". He went inside and banged the door behind him.

I wasn't able to control myself, it was too much to take. This was probably the worst welcome that anyone had ever received and I didn't know what had I done to deserve it. My husband had already thought of me as a whore and a flirt and there was nothing worse that could possibly happen to a newly wed. What had happened didn't make any sense to me.

I was never raised in a conservative and strict environment where I was restricted from doing anything. Sure there were boundaries but not ever had such a situation come where my dad had ever been abusive to me. No matter what Ayaan said, I hadn't done anything wrong by thanking someone for helping me. I decided to forget about what had happened but I had to apologize to him. I had to fix it. I couldn't have such a rough start.

Hesitantly I went up to his room and knocked, but he didn't respond. Probably it was best to leave him alone. The long flights must have got him really tired, otherwise he wouldn't had snapped at me that way.

It didn't make sense to have my personal room, probably he was just too angry and wanted to be alone for sometime.

I turned around and looked at the house. It was simply marvelous. There was nothing for me to do, it was spotless like everything was cleaned just before our arrival. It was fully furnished. A black leather couch, TV, dining table for four. There was one washroom, connected to the drawing room and it was well lit, like a 5 star hotel washroom back home. The kitchen was a dream. An oven, microwave, dishwasher and an electric stove. I couldn't wait to start baking. I checked the shelves and it was fully loaded. It was a luxurious house. I was really impressed. Ayaan arranged for everything before we could even arrive. He did care about me.

I went ahead and opened the door to my room and noticed it was completely empty. Probably he wanted me to choose the interiors of the room, the thought of it made me blush. There was another door, it was a connecting washroom to his room. Let's just call it his room for now. I thought to convert one of the two rooms into a guest room.

I freshened up, but I wasn't fresh. I was tired and wanted to have a nap. I knocked on Ayaan's door again but to vain. I looked around and the couch looked too tempting, I could feel it wanting me to rest on it and it was hard to resist. I looked at my phone and there was no network and I noticed that the time was now 11:30 pm. Ayaan may not be up until fajr but I didn't know the fajr time there so I didn't set any alarm and fell asleep quickly.

I jolted, struggling to catch my breath. I tried hard to breathe but it was suffocating me more. My vision was blurry. Struggling, I tried to grab onto anything that I could to free myself and fell from the couch. .I coughed heavily and water dripped from my nose and chin. I was feeling better but still strangled. I could hear someone talking but my brain wasn't processing any of it and it was hard to register. I was pulled up by my arm and saw Ayaan furious than ever. His eyes had darkness in them, like a storm approaching.

__________

Hello my lovely readers 🥰,

I know it has been a while since I've updated and I'm really sorry about that.
Will try to update every Wednesday starting today.
Hope you enjoyed this chapter.

Much love ❤️❤️❤️