Renesme's Dream (aka Life with Renesme) Chapter 13

(Max's POV)

((1 week ago))

"Max! Max, where are you little punk?!"

Max sighed. Not again.

"In here uncle Ben." Max sat up from the bed he ha been laying on, reading his copy of Shakespeare's "Much Ado About Nothing."

Ben stormed up rickety wooden stairs and into Max's loft room, seething in anger.

"I told you to stop reading and do your chores, you little monster!"

"I did do them! The wood is chopped and ready to sell!"

"All 20 trees worth?"

"Yes. Now please can I read my book now in peace?"

"Ugh. Why do you waste time reading?"

"Because it gets me away from reality for a little while. In other words, it keeps me sane." He sneered.

"Whatever. Go chop more trees, boy."

Max sighed and got up as he was told. He walked out of the small cabin, past the rusted out pick up truck, and into the woods. He couldn't wait for his parents to get back. They had been gone for 53 years now.

He plugged in his ipod ear buds and hit shuffle, chopping the trees in time to the music.

Three hours later, Ben came out of the house and tapped on Max's shoulder.

Max took the ear buds out and turned around. "What?" He sighed. It seemed that Ben was intent of not letting him have much time alone.

"Find me some dinner, punk."

"Do it yourself for once!"

Be, who had turned to go back inside, swiveled on his heel to stare at Max.

"What did you just say?"

"I said do it your self for once! Why do I always have to do everything? Chop the wood, find your food, deliver the wood in a wheelbarrow, stay away from humans, blah blah blah....."

Ben took 3 quick steps and was instantly at Max's side. He slapped him across the cheek, then punched him, sending him to the ground.

"Because I'm in charge punk, that's why! And because you're parents, god rest their souls, left you to me. By some cruel trick of fate, they left you to me."

"Wait! What did you just say?" Max asked. He couldn't have heard that right.

"I said, by some cruel tick of fa-"

"No! About god rest their souls? What do you mean? I thought they were hunting in Europe?"

"Hah! No, you idiot! Did you honestly think they'd leave you without contacting you for over 50 years?"

Max was at a loss for words. He had thought about That, but he didn't want to think about what that could mean...

"Well...." He said softly.

"'Well...' nothing, punk! They're dead!"

"No they're not! Prove it!" Max shouted, jumping to his feet.

"I got a letter a while back from your mother, saying someone had killed your father, and she was going after them. Then when she never wrote back, I got a letter from Aro of the Volturi, informing me that as their friend, I might want to know that she had died as well. They obviously never told anyone about you, so they didn't notify you. So now I'M stuck with you. Forever. What now, huh, punk?" he growled.

"T-they're dead?" Max asked again.

"Ugh! YES! What part of 'dead' can't you understand? God! You're such a moron, Max! Now hurry up and get me some food! Now!"

Max got up and ran. Deep into the forrest, deep into the trees, where no one could find him. He needed to be alone.

(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)

**Several hours later**

Max trudged back into the house, feeling very emotionally tired.

"Max? Is that you boy?"

"Yes."

"Where the hell is my dinner?"

"Out there." He pointed to the window. "Go catch it yourself."

He stomped up to his room. He took out a box from under his bed, it was his treasure chest, full of things he never wanted to forget. He took out a picture of him and his parents by the ocean.

His parents had always been a bit different, but they had also always loved him. When they went on vacation for a few months with their friend, they had promised him that they would bring him presents from wherever they went.

He starred at the picture, wishing it wasn't true. But he knew it was. Why else would they have ignored him for so long?

He reached into the box, and pulled out a stuffed bear. They had given this to him when they adopted him. They had told him the story many times. They wanted a son, but couldn't have one since they were vampires. They adopted him, and turned him on his 7th birthday. He could still remember the pain of changing, but it the end it had been worth it. That was 104 years ago.

Suddenly, red filled his vision, as he remembered what Ben had said. Someone had killed them. He jumped up and ran downstairs.

"Oh, so you're back, huh? Good. Go get me a-"

"Who did it?" Max demanded.

"What?"

"Who killed them?"

"Who? Oh! Right! Your parents! Um someone named Edward Cullen and his mate and their family. They live out near Port Angeles, in Washington. Why?"

Max turned on his heel and ran back upstairs, grabbing his backpack, and stuffing his clothes and treasures inside. He ran back downstairs, and out the front door, not stopping to say goodbye.

Ben chased him out the front door, yelling for him to stop and to get the hell back there.

But he didn't stop. He didn't when he heard Ben's footsteps fade into the distance, or when he was 100 miles from home. He just kept running.

The Cullens would pay for this.

**Ok so you all can probably guess who his parents are by now! but I'm saving the big name reveal for later. Please comment!! :D