Chapter 27 - Day 8 - Home

Miller awoke with a start. The gauzy netting surrounding him was instantly confusing and he sat up abruptly, eyes swiveling about the large room. Beside him the pillow was dented with the impression from being used and the sheet was folded back. He lifted the sheet on his side and saw that he was naked. Whether or not to smile occurred to him but he decided to make sure and he slipped out from under the net and found his new shirt, pulling it on and wandering toward the doorway across the room.

The shower was an open, circular stone room large enough to step right out of the spray and at that moment that's where he found Billy, soaping her legs. She didn't see him and he shucked his shirt and stepped over the low sill and up behind her. Her skin was soft and slippery and she gave only a little jerk as his hands slid around her waist.

"I need help."

She turned and pressed against him. "Better?"

"I mean I need help to remember last night. Somehow it's all a blank."

"Talk about a guy who can charm a gal. Miller you take the prize." She squirmed against him and he kissed her hard.

He pulled his head back. "I'm serious, Billy. I mean I can imagine . . . considering the bed and all but . . . is this your dad's villa still or have I moved to some- some Eden?"

"I like that Eden bit, that's nice but the truth is that after your surprise and your story you found me on the balcony and we finally went back inside. Carlos insisted we continue with our meal and celebrate the resort's good fortune along with its benefactor. You got battered and had to be helped to bed."

He jerked back. "You mean we- I didn't- there was no . . . ?"

"Not last night, Miller. But if you hurry up and shower we might find time before you're appointment with Warez."

"Warez! Now what?"

"Your statement."

"Oh Jesus H. Christ! I'm fed right up with-"

Her hand covered his mouth and she fixed him with a stare. "You're wasting time, Miller." She walked into the spray, rinsed, grabbed her towel and went back to the bedroom.

"Right!" he grabbed the soap and squirted it across the room then scrambled after it, scrubbing himself all over and rubbing furiously at his skin then still soaking wet he charged back into the bedroom and dove for the supine Billy, tangling himself helplessly in the mosquito netting.

"I hope you slept well," Carlos greeted a limping Miller as he entered the huge open space where they had shared dinner.

"Mmmph . . ."

"Something wrong, senor?"

Miller gaped at the bed-robed Helen as she floated from the kitchen to the table carrying a tray of fruit and toast for she and Carlos. Billy prodded him from behind and they took seats beside one another and Billy poured him a large glass of juice and forked a few slices of bacon onto his plate.

"He was a little restless," she advised. "Probably his conscience."

"More likely his . . . unconscious." Helen teased with her tinkling laugh. Miller flamed and gulped down the juice.

"I have informed our captain that you will present yourself in one hour to deliver and sign your statement."

He nodded and chewed some bacon. "Thanks. I guess then I'll need some transportation to the airport."

"That's all arranged, senor, do not worry. We have confirmed your reservation and you will be in plenty of time."

"Right." Miller glanced at Billy who was digging into a dish of grapefruit. "Out of curiosity, what happened to Hector and the other couple, did they get arrested?"

Carlos sighed and nodded. "Si. Hector, because of a previous record has been sent away to prison. We will not be seeing him any time soon. Senorita Weiss and Senor Ordman were charged with assault but released with a small fine. Captain Warez just wanted them gone from his life."

"So Charles is charged with the murders?"

"Si. He finally confessed after Astrid Montez agreed to testify against him for a reduced sentence. Warez would hang him with the killings regardless. He realized that any further protest was futile. Warez was pocketing the money. Astrid wouldn't say anything about it . . . she couldn't really and aside from ourselves, nobody even knows about any money anymore."

"Okay then, guess I'd better get ready to go." He finished eating in silence then excused himself from the table and left the room.

Dressed in his new togs from the resort boutique, Miller presented himself to Captain Warez, made his formal statement and signed it with a finality that brooked no further comment from the policeman. They shook hands and Warez even executed a short bow, cracking his leg with his crop once again.

Miller went around saying his goodbyes to Miguel and Mendoza, passing on another island concoction for the road, and then took a side trip to Fonda Anita and gave a hug to a startled and curiously pleased, Anita.

"Adios, senorita. Vaya con Dios, mi amor." Anita blushed and her bright painted lips parted in a silent gasp.

"Vaya con Dios, senor." She flipped a lace hanky at him as he hopped down the steps and back to the resort's main building.

Juan stood with the rear door of his van open and a large sealed envelope in his hand, waiting patiently as Miller hugged and air kissed his way through the lobby. He gave it over and closed the van door; saluting Carlos and Helen then jumped into the driver's seat and roared off.

Miller sat quite still in puzzled surprise as Billy leaned across and kissed him warmly. "This is certainly better than the arrival was," he remarked as they parted lips.

"Carlos doesn't do kissing of new arrivals." She settled back in the corner and watched him.

"Are you my, escort to the airport?"

"I refuse to take the bait, Miller and the answer is no, I'm going home as well." She waited a beat and then gestured with frustration. "Aren't you going to open it?"

"Huh? Oh, this. Forgot about it. Something took my attention." He picked the flap open with his thumb and slid the sheet of paper out, pausing at the official looking slip of paper-clipped to the top. "What's this?" He looked at the slip and sputtered an unintelligible exclamation.

"Windy Palms token of their gratitude."

He read the amount on the cheque and shook his head. "But- but− this is twenty-five thousand dollars!"

"My daddy doesn't like it if I'm not treated properly."

"What? What are you talk . . . ?" He dropped the papers on his lap and stared at her. Juan swung the van into a sharp turn around a scraggly herd of goats and Miller fell across the seat and into Billy's arms. "This is real, eh, not business?"

"Oh it's business all right, but from now on I'm self employed." She pulled his head up and they kissed again. Long. Hard. And deep.

THE END

I'd like to sincerely thank all who read this story and gave me such encouraging comments along with many laughs. It's why I write.

lyttlejoe/2018