Chapter 6 - Foot in Mouth

"You'll starve if you just sit there, Miller."

He turned to find Billy in an almost bikini, leaning in the archway. The image shelled his mind and he found it difficult to speak. "Uhh . . . hi. What do you mean?"

"This is where the staff eats, you should have kept going down the steps here."

He sighed heavily and made apologetic gestures to the happy-faced cook and left to join her. "They refused my chit in the dining room, guess I'll have to speak to your father again."

"She refused your chit, huh?" Billy laughed and started down the stairs. He followed the bikini bottom and nearly tripped into a potted cactus. She stopped at the bottom and held out her hand to direct him ahead of her. Reluctantly he obeyed and found himself in a charming little grotto of colourful lamps and paintings surrounding a café set-up of tables covered with red cloths, and comfortable armchairs.

"What are you doing here?"

"I eat too, Miller."

"I mean, here. Why not in the famous, Fonda Anita?" He waved a deprecating hand toward the second floor.

"It'll get you a decent dinner or brunch but no lunch or breakfast. Those you get down here. It was nothing personal."

"Well, this is nice." He admitted.

"It's called, Divers." She chose a table by the wall and spread her towel over the chair before sitting.

"Do they serve bacon?"

"Torcino. That's what you ask for." She ran long fingers through her hair and leaned back, studying him.

"What?"

"Did you enjoy lunch yesterday? I'm surprised to see you up so early."

Miller blushed and chuckled. "Did I make an ass of myself?"

"Don't say that around Henry, but no, you just had a little too much sun and drink." She grinned at his discomfort. "You also missed dinner."

He looked up sharply and wet his lips. "Dinner? I did?"

"Yes. We had to haul you up those steps in Casa Faro and get you into bed. It was a task let me tell you."

"We? You mean you put me to bed? Who else?"

"Miguel. He and I managed finally to drag you through that hole in the floor and then get your stuff off. I stopped at the pants, I didn't think we knew one another well enough for that." Miller turned crimson. "By the way, that is a dynamite view you have up there. Spend a little money on the place and the resort could have a real winner. Use it for honeymoons and things." She twirled a finger through her damp hair.

He pictured her removing his shirt and wondered if he would have been so restrained had circumstances had been reversed. "Why don't you mention the idea to your dad?"

"He's still grumbling about my last suggestion." She leaned back to allow the waitress to place their plates and cutlery. "¿Dos torcino y el pan, y nos puede servir te, por favor?"

"Si." The waitress smiled and left with the menus."

"I didn't order?" Miller complained.

"I did. We're having toast and bacon and tea."

"I prefer coffee."

"Trust me, Miller, you won't like the milk."

He made a dismissive noise. "So what was the suggestion that upset your father?"

She smiled grimly and toyed with her fork. "I goaded him into pursuing his assistant, Miss Ramirez. I told him she was kind of keen on him and he should check her out." She opened her napkin and spread it on her lap. "He was like a teenager . . . all left feet and thumbs. Helen told me later that she found it really cute and complimentary but it ended there. He was too frightened."