Chapter 5 - Another Poser

Miller turned to see a large crowd of couples pushing across the patio and finding favourite tables. A few nodded toward Billy as they settled in and soon the entire patio was full, with several white-jacketed waiters bustling between the tables. Miller noted that their table was set well away from the others like an exclusive island and the various guests kept glancing their way with deferential smiles.

"You seem to be well known here."

She didn't answer, instead she sat back smiling as Henry reappeared with a large tray of food. Miller watched salads being tossed onto their plates with un-requested condiments and flat slivers of white fish with rice and more coloured paste-brown this time. A basket of steaming rolls and a bowl of whipped butter replaced the cut flower vase and the strange drinks were substituted with huge goblets of ruby red wine.

"Magnifico, Henry. Mucho gracias." Billy lifted her wine glass toward Miller and toasted their new friendship. He happily followed.

The food was indeed magnifico and the wine on top of the other drink left him with a floaty feeling head. He stared happily at Billy, registering her features through a kind of blurry haze. Her mouth held his eyes when she spoke and then her eyes when he answered. Small pastries appeared as the empty plates vanished and the wine glass never seemed to empty.

They fed each other across the table, tiny bites of delicate cream-filled pastry that showered the tablecloth with a blizzard of crumbs. Miller found that his attention was failing to focus and when suddenly the loud strum of a guitar sounded by his chair he gave a surprised start and he fixed on a stunning young woman with raven black hair and huge dark eyes who was holding a large Spanish guitar across her ample chest and singing softly in Spanish.

Billy sat back and watched Miller as he shifted around in his chair to more appreciate the performance. The woman swayed to her rhythm as she cooed what was obviously a seductive Spanish love song and the guitar accentuated her physical gestures which were all directed at Miller.

"She's very good," he said, looking briefly at Billy.

"Oh yes . . . very."

Miller lost himself in the song, his head still fuzzy, forcing concentration on the singer with appreciation, returning the dazzling smile as she leaned toward him warbling the last lines and finishing with a skillful allegro and a deep curtsy. The crowd applauded with a series of shouted laughs and oles! Miller joined in the applause, holding it until the woman left the patio, blowing kisses to the crowd.

"Pretty good, eh?" He drained his glass and stared stupidly at Billy.

"Henry always succeeds in wowing the crowd." She covered a knowing smile with her own glass. Miller kept staring, his face forming the expression of his confusion as her words slowly registered.

"Henry?"

"Our young male waiter." Billy set her glass down and reached across the table for his hand. "He's the house entertainment. You should see his dinner show."

"Henry!"

"He's a female impersonator, Miller... at least for now. He's been trying for some time to raise enough money to tackle his situation seriously."

"Henry?"

She squeezed his hand and let go. "C'mon, it's time to meet Juan and head back to the resort."

"Henry . . . what about our bill? His words slurred together and it sounded like, 'waterbottlebrill'.

"It is all taken care of." She stood and came around to his chair, assisting him to his feet. He walked woodenly under her guidance across the patio and out to the front. Henry? Gregory was waiting with his hands out and Billy gave him a huge hug and they traded some amused conversation while Miller stood weaving by the drive. The van appeared and braked to a dusty halt beside Miller and just as he was following Billy into the van a hand on his arm drew him back.