Chapter 17 - Suspicions

Everybody seemed to be having so much fun. Laughter came from the different groups. Kids tore about in playful glee. A hot sun burned the tiles on the patio and dried pool soaked skin in an instant. Couples staying in the water embraced with abandon; in general, they were all enjoying their holiday. Didn't they know two murders had been committed? Was he the only one being investigated?

What the hell was wrong with him? He looked back at the couple down the bar and determined that they were in a heated argument. Maybe he wasn't the only one not having fun. Turning back and giving in to his melancholy, Miller called to Mendoza. "You should try one of those things you gave me the other day on those two, I think they need to relax. Judging from the tone it sounds like they could use some of your magic." Mendoza's eyes brightened and he moved down the bar, smiling hugely.

"Hi sailor, buy a girl a drink?" Billy swung up onto a stool, bumping legs with Miller, tossing her purse on the counter and flashing a gorgeous smile. He glanced at her, awash in the energy of her aura. Everything seemed sharper and clearer when she was in her bubbly mood and he felt his gloom whiz away, instantly feeling so much better in her company.

"Aaaarrh, Sweetie, what'll it be?" He laughed, "What did our formidable Captain have to say?"

"I'm to stay on the grounds and make sure you do the same." She scooped a few peanuts from the bowl on the bar.

"Get out!"

"Don't you like having me as a policewoman?"

"I can think of other more pleasurable roles." Instantly he flamed red and gulped some of his drink as Billy's face took on a surprised amusement and she turned on her stool to face him directly.

"Care to share?"

"I uh- I'm sorry. That was rude."

"You are a piece of work, Miller." She ate some more peanuts and then ordered a drink when Mendoza returned.

"I don't think my drink will relax that couple," the bartender confided. "I think he is losing an argument about another woman." He winked and moved away to fix Billy's drink. Miller explained what happened and they both stole peeks down the bar at the couple.

"They were on that tour or whatever the other day with that woman."

"You mean-"

"Yes, Miller, her." They both stared at the couple again.

She wore a pale green over-blouse under a beige beach robe, with red, wedge-heeled sandals and yellow sunglasses. The man was tanned and well built and he wore blue shorts with an open, un-tucked shirt, sandals and lots of gold chains and rings.

"I'm not lying about anything." The man muttered.

"I'm sure."

"Where did you get this story?"

"Gary, give it up. I know, okay? You are nothing but a lying, cheating son-of-a-bitch."

"I was trying to get some information about the timeshare. I told you what she said about the cheques they were issuing."

"What makes you think that will happen now? Christ, Gary, the guy's dead . . . murdered!"

"The corporation has legal responsibilities to the investors. Jesus, the business can't stop; people die or get killed all the time." His voice rasped.

"So why not wait and see if it's true?"

"Look, any dope we can gather will only benefit."

Glenda arched her neck and glared. "And you thought you'd find it between the legs of one of the maids? You know who the dope is." He took in her venom and his face went rigid as the bartender suddenly appeared offering a specialty of the house.