Chapter 18 - Nancy Drew

Hector smiled broadly when Glenda demanded he back up her story about being alone the previous night. After she told him what happened his demeanor changed. Another murder. This time the woman he had been spying on. He would need his own alibi if anyone saw him near the Ordman suite that morning.

He listened carefully as she told him what had happened at the interview and to say they had met in her room because he needed to check the front door lock. That he had been around several times checking the suite afterwards and that he had spoken to her a few times and was positive she was in residence and alone. It was a plausible plan and they would be telling the same story but he couldn't resist testing the waters.

"But you weren't, Senorita Weiss." He blew a stream of smoke from the side of his mouth.

"Neither of us want me to say you were in my bed all night so don't screw with me, Hector, or you'll be right alongside me on the carpet."

"Now that sounds like a sensible offer for my cooperation."

"What?"

"Being alongside you on the carpet." He smiled again and undid his belt.

"In your dreams." She started across the room to the door. "I'll call you when I need you again- and it won't be tonight."

"Do not think you can order me about so casually, senorita. My fate is in more hands than you even know about so we should perhaps reconsider exactly what our future relationship will be." He stubbed out his cigarillo angrily in the ashtray, carelessly knocking it onto the carpet and made a move toward her.

"You better think that one through yourself, Hector. I'm your only alibi for the other night too and I can box you in so tightly you won't know what hit you. You might consider my current relationship with Senor Ordman." She opened the door and waited, tight-lipped.

********

Gary waited in the shadows outside the kitchen and when he recognized the young maid who came out, singing a pleasant goodnight to her friends, he grabbed her arm, covered her mouth and pulled her into a dark corner behind the building.

"Shhh, I'm not going to hurt you. It's me, Gary."

"Senor Ordman you scared the life from me."

"Listen- I need your name and your help. I'll pay you for your help."

She calmed down and wound her fingers in his shirtfront. "I have never asked to be paid, senor."

"No, no . . . you don't understand. It's not that. I need your name and I need you to say you spent last night with me . . . all night."

"Why do you need this favour, senor?"

"I just need it, okay? All you have to do is say you spent the whole night with me."

"Where were you, senor?"

"In my apartment- it doesn't matter, just do this for me."

"You were not alone." It was a shrewd statement not a question.

Gary swallowed hard and looked about furtively. "I was with someone else, you're right but I can't say who she- who it was."

"I am thinking it was the very attractive Senorita Burrows." Again a statement not a question.

Gary coughed and went pale. "You can't say that . . . to anybody. Please do this for me and I will pay you well."

Her hand slid down to his waist. "How much are you offering me?" The other hand joined the first and Gary grunted as he tried to hold her still while he explained.