Chapter 20 - Fiesta el Toro

Gary Ordman felt sick. If the police found out he'd spent the night-or most of it-with Shelia and then she got killed, he would be a goner for sure. Astrid had to come through for him. He told her that if she lost her job because of it he would make it up to her; he began with the hundred-dollar bribe, which led to a mauling in the storage area behind the kitchen.

She seemed more than willing to do or say anything for his money. What niggled at the back of his mind was how did Glenda know he had been seeing the maid. If she knew that, what else did she know? One wrong word on her part could hang him out to dry.

They needed to talk.

********

The patio was awash in colour, both through the multi-hued lanterns and the costumes of the staff and the entertainers. Hawaiian torches jutted from the planters around the pool adding to the strange idea that Windy Palms was an island instead of a peninsula on the Mexican coast, and their incense seemed to heighten the natural scent of the flowers. The music was stirring and the voices of the singers drove home the experience that was Mexico after all - at its most delightful.

Guests filled the area set aside for cocktails and long lines formed to partake of the mountain of food on elaborately decorated tables. Carlos was at the top of the steps in his vaquero outfit with a huge sombrero of red and gold, greeting all the arrivals. Beside him, and looking magnificent in her Spanish influenced gown, Helen Ramirez peeked seductively from behind her fan, playing the role of condëssa to the hilt.

As Miller took in all the opulence of the resort's presentation he couldn't help but notice that Billy stood out as though under her own spotlight and he watched with pleasure as she greeted her father and Helen and moved down the line accepting hugs and the occasional kiss from the staff and even the taxi drivers who were also invited to the festival.

She had been right, the gowns and even costumes on some of the more adventurous guests were very classy. He followed along, more than pleased to bask in her glow and accept the envious glances as her partner of choice for the evening . . . and in his new shirt to boot!

There was a loud trumpet blast from the stage and the lights dimmed save for one blue coloured spot that announced the arrival of the huge papier-mâché likeness of a fierce bull-El Toro had arrived. The trumpet wailed a soulful melody, fading gradually, replaced by a quartet of guitars and the gentle voice of the female singer.

The guests listened in silence as the facsimile bull rolled to a halt in front of the stage and the musicians came from the stage to stand in front. Billy poked Miller on the arm and pointed with her head toward the singer.

"Anybody you know?" She asked.

"Eh?" Miller looked closer and his mouth dropped. "Henry?"

"None other. This is the big time for him. It's his Broadway debut . . . at Windy Palms, Mexico."

They listened to the song and marveled at the grace with which Henry played his part. Miller wagered silently that none of the others suspected the truth at all. When it ended and the applause died down, Billy dragged Miller over to the stage and she hugged Henry with genuine affection, passing him on to a surprised Miller who took another kiss on the cheek with mild discomfiture.

"Did you like my song, Senor Hunt?"

"It was bueno, muy bueno, Henry."

"Shhh! Please, Senor Hunt! It is Henrietta when I am performing."

"Sorry." Miller looked pleadingly at Billy. "It was a wonderful performance, Senorita Henrietta." He bowed as he complimented Henry and was surprised when he received a perfectly executed curtsy in return.