Chapter 5 - Mia James

A/N - Not fully edited, only edited with spellcheck....so beware of mistakes =)

~ ~ Chapter Five - Mia James ~ ~

     I found myself standing in front of a shop window, the mannequins inside all dressed up in fancy clothing I could never afford. They were lit up with small, magical, spotlights. Their bodies perfectly shaped, their faces, smiles, everything about them was perfect. It was as if they were taunting me for what I could never be, what I could never have.

My fingers tightened around the hard rock in my hand, the sharp surfaces of it poking into my soft and warm skin, and before I could think about anything, I pulled my arm back and pelted it straight through the glass window, shattering it and creating a large jagged hole.

Alarms blared out, crushing the dead silent night and I slowly turned away from the window and strolled down the street with a little skip in my step. I felt better now, but I still had a long way to go until I could smile and mean it. The heaviness in my chest had lightened up a little as my heart beat wildly in my chest, now I just had to find some other things to do to lift it up further.

Kicking an empty can off the footpath and onto the road, any noise that the aluminium would have made was drowned about by the constant ear piercing alarm blasting from behind me.  I didn’t care though, I didn’t care about anything in this moment right now apart from where to get my next bit of entertainment.

Turning the corner and making my way down another shop lined street and getting further away from the blasted alarms with every step I took, I wondered if that two-face Cassie had dobbed on me for leaving yet or not. If she knew what was good for her, she would keep her fat trap shut. 

“Someone’s a little hardcore, eh?”

I spun on my heels, my heart spiking instantly and my hands clenched into automatic fists as I faced the person who had snuck up behind me. My eyes narrowed at him as I stared directly at his face, not looking away for the slightest second because you never looked away – that is asking to go down first.

“What’s got you all jumpy?” Corey smiled widely, digging his hands deep into the pockets of his jeans as he raised an eyebrow, looking at me with interest.

Frowning as I pinched my lips together slightly, I turned back around and continued walking. My muscles tight and my body ready to spring into action if Corey decided to try to attack me from behind – I doubt he will, but you can’t trust anyone these days.

“Nothing,” I mumbled, wishing he would just go away.

“My friends are down at the tracks, do you want to come along? I promise you’ll fit in just fine with them,” Corey grinned as he caught up with me easily. I stared blankly at his face, my interest spiked and wondering what it is exactly that he and his friends get up to.

Looking back up the empty street as the wind blew gently, causing some rubbish to roll along the ground. I shrugged. I had nothing better to do apart from trying to find some amusement, so maybe Corey and his friends can give me that?

“Yeah, whatever,” I mumbled and motioned with my hand for him to lead the way.

Corey’s grin grew even wider – which I don’t see how was possible, but it did and he tilted his head across the street before stepping off the footpath and onto the road, leading the way. For a moment, I watched him, Moss’s voice full of warning entering my mind about not going off with strange boys, but then I brushed him away.