Chapter 1 - Mia James

Quick question - are Mia's eyes blue? I've lost my character notes for her (shocking, I know lol)

~ ~ Chapter 1 ~ ~

Staring out the window as the car moved steadily along the bitumen road, I felt dead inside. I was all alone within a world that no one wanted me, no one cared and no one loved me. Except for Moss and he was now gone.

He should have fought harder, I should have fought harder because now, we're both screwed big time.

"We're almost there Mia." I didn't bother turning my head to look at the woman I have known since I was five years old, Miss Karts, because I knew she would have given me that sweet-as-pie smile of hers and I hated it.

She was an older lady, no kids of her own from what I can tell and single - unless you count being in a relationship with your job that is. Miss Karts wasn't unattractive per say, just not very 'appearance concerned' with herself. 

Her light blonde hair was always up in a bun or a ponytail, never let down though, and she wore next to no make-up on her aging face - maybe a little moisturiser, if that. I know she thinks she has our best interest in her heart, but she doesn't.

She use to, before she gave permission to tear Moss and I apart in the way they just did.

It was dark outside, which means we have been driving for a lot longer than I had wanted us to be considering it was daylight when we left. I'm going to have no chance tracking Moss down once we get to my new place, especially if he has been moved away just as far as I have, but in the opposite direction.

'Welcome to Thinly. Population 12,475' I groaned silently as we passed by the sign welcoming us, at least it wasn't a small town out in the middle of the sticks somewhere and it actually had an okay amount of people living here - it could have always said five hundred.

"Mia?" Miss Karts called out once more from the driver’s seat and I glanced over at her, but as she turned to look back and meet my eyes, I was already staring back out the window again.

I hated her. I hated the system. I hated my parents and now I'm going to hate my life just as much.

"Mia, I know you can hear me," she spoke again, and I rolled my eyes. Does she think constantly repeating my name is going to make me speak back to her? "You will like your new home and I just know you will be happy there. Mr and Mrs Diggs have a teenage daugh-."

That’s where I tuned her out, plugging the ear buds from my walkman into my ears and filling my mind with music. I couldn't stand to hear her go on about how wonderful and nice the Diggs are, how much I will just love living with them, how I will fit in perfectly and grow up in a beautiful home...and on the lies went.

 It was all a big fat stinking crock of crap anyway.

My home was where Moss was, not hours away in a house with strangers and their daughter.

     Sometime after that, I had drifted off to sleep - there was no point in trying to remember the way we had just come, not unless I can somehow find out where Moss was taken too.

I felt my body being shaken gently, and with a start my eyes snapped open and my hand was flinging out in a curled up fist, making instant contact with the side of Miss Karts face.

She cried out and cupped her now throbbing cheek as she quickly backed her head out of my personal space and stood up straight alongside the car. Scowling up at her as I slowly reached up and pulled the ear buds out, the world going silent on me as my music stopped.