Chapter 2 - Mia James

** Only roughly edited, so if you find any mistakes - let me know. Cheers **

Chapter 2

     The first week at the Digg’s resident passed by in a blur, they were kind to me though. Henry was patient with all my outbursts, and he never spoke down to me, but tried to speak to me as an equal. Katey would always smile at me with that look in her eyes that screamed she just wanted to hug me tight to her body and never let go, to protect me from anything and anyone. Then there was their teenage daughter Cassie, she is Moss’s age and is constantly trying to include me in the things she does, whether it just be watching a simple movie to going outside and swimming in the pool, she wanted to be my best friend.

It made me sick to my stomach and only fed my anger more. I hated every minute of this torturous family and couldn’t wait until the left me alone so I could get away for good.

My second night here I had snuck out my bedroom window, only to be confronted by Henry the second my feet touched the ground and I had turned around. I'm beginning to think he isn’t normal, he constantly knows when I am about to make a break for it and always seems to be one step ahead of me.

I accused him of being a mind reading witch on my third day, which he just laughed whole-heartedly about, claiming it was the funniest thing he had ever heard. Katey was concerned with the amount of rebellious things I continued doing, even after being in their home for an entire week. Shock horror, huh? She couldn’t seem to understand the fact that I wanted nothing to do with them, or their home. So this is why I am currently sitting in the lounge room, glaring at the overweight beast as we wait for Miss Karts to arrived – the woman across from me had rang her and dobbed.

Henry had scolded her for it, saying I needed more time to adjust and then they got into a fairly heated argument about it – an argument I’m not suppose to know took place, since it was behind their closed bedroom door when I was meant to be sleeping.

I had decided after my first night here that I would wait it out as much as I could handle, in the hopes Moss would rock up any day soon and take me away from here. I didn’t like the idea of waiting for him, but it beat a twelve year wandering off on her own with no idea in which direction to go and I also knew I would only get away with it for so long before the authorities snatched me back up and who knows where they will send me after that.

Therefore, the waiting game is my plan.

“Um, do I need to be here for this?” Cassie piped up from the other side of the room from me; she was sitting next to her mum on the three-seater couch, while I had taken up one of the single armchairs in the room. There was no way I was sharing a seat with any of them.

Katey looked down at Cassie and smiled slightly, “Not if you don’t want to be, but I would prefer if we showed a family front on the matter. Mia needs our support.” Cassie nodded, but I could tell she wasn’t impressed – though, surprisingly she didn’t hold it against me, just like with everything else I have done so far.

“Don’t worry Katey; I’ll be sure to tell Miss Karts everything that goes on. She is practically a mother to me,” I smirked, my sickly sweet voice giving my words a double meaning that Katey tried her best to ignore. She was easier to wind up than what Henry was, which was just amusing for me.

This didn’t completely stop that look in her eyes all the time though, the look which I knew she felt sorry for me and just wanted us to get along so she could love and hug me like she does with Cassie.

Rolling my eyes, I turned and looked out the giant window at the front of the room, the one I could see through to the front yard and road. I also happened to look at the very moment a familiar government car slowed down with the indicator on and pulled into the driveway.