Chapter 4

CAROLINE'S POV

"Taylor, guess what!" I came into the apartment saying. Today was Friday and I had just gotten home from school. Andrea had to pick me up and drop me off at home because Taylor didn't know if she could be to school on time to do it.

"What?" She asked walking into the room.

"Kelsey is having a sleepover tomorrow night and she wants to know if I can come." I told her with a huge smile on my face. Over the last few days I had confirmed that Kelsey and Grace were my friends. We'd been talking to each other all week and now that Kelsey invited me over I knew we were actually friends.

"Yay!" Taylor laughed and held out both her hands for a high five. I high fived her before jumping into her arms and giving her a hug. While she had her arms wrapped around me I got the butterflies because that was my mom hugging me. Taylor was my mom now. It had been a few days since the adoption became official, but I couldn't stop reminding myself that I had a family.

"And your mom wants me to ask you if we wanted to go over to her house for supper." I said, recalling what Andrea had told me in the car. At that Taylor let me out of the hug and picked up the phone to call her mom. I actually wasn't dreading going to Scott and Andrea's house for supper.

I was having a good day and I would finally be part of a family function where I'm actually family. I took my shoes off and sat down at a barstool in the kitchen where Taylor was dialing her mom's number.

"Are you okay with this though? You don't have to go if you don't want to." Taylor said to me as she put the phone up to her ear. I remembered some of my bad days this summer where I didn't want to do anything, go anywhere, or see anyone.

"I'm fine." I told her truthfully. And then I watched in complete adoration as Taylor paced around the kitchen talking to Andrea. If I had the choice, there was nobody I could think if that would be a better mom for me than Taylor. She knew what made me happy and she knew what I liked. And she was always there when I needed somebody.

And I didn't know if I could ever find enough ways to tell her how grateful I was for her.

Taylor ended up being on the phone longer than I expected she would be, so after a while I went up to my room. When I got there I opened up the blinds and looked outside. You could see all of Nashville from my bedroom window, but I used to look at the sky instead. I would look as far as I could see in the sky and think that maybe my dad was seeing that too.

The sky used to be something that connected us when he was away. And even now it still was, but this time he's up there. I was snapped out of my thoughts when I heard Taylor yell my name up the stairs.

"What?" I said as I was descending down the steps.

"We're going over there right now." She said.

When we pulled into their driveway twenty minutes later I got a wierd feeling in my stomach. I would walk into that house and for the first time it would be my grandparents house. I never saw my biological grandparents much, so this was kind of different.

I walked up to the door with Taylor and she rang the doorbell. Soon Andrea was opening up the door and letting us in. She hugged Taylor before she pulled me in for a hug too. She took us into the living room where Scott was sitting on the couch, as soon as he saw us he stood up and gave us hugs too.

Although his hug felt good, being hugged by a man reminded me a lot of my dad. And for a second I remembered the family I was leaving behind as I entered this new family. I sat down on the couch beside Taylor while everybody was talking and filling each other in on their lives. Taylor had a new album coming out this October. So very soon she would be getting very busy. Which means very soon I would also be getting very busy.