Chapter 3

CAROLINE'S POV

My first period class was english. I had always been good at english, actually I had always been good at all my classes. Being smart was kind of my thing. Other people had sports and music, and I was smart. As I walked into the classroom I had my eyes set on an empty table on the far end of the room.

"Hey Caroline, come over here!" I heard a girl call out from the other side of the room and I turned around in that direction to find the girl with an empty seat next to her. I smiled and came to sit down by her. We were at a table of three and I was sitting in the third spot.

"It's a good thing you're in this class, now me and Grace have another girl to talk to." She said and I looked around and noticed that a lot of the other kids were guys. I recognized the girl I was talking to as Kelsey, I'd had some classes with her last year. And the girl sitting on her other side was Grace. And from going to school with them for a year I've noticed that they're best friends, they are always together, even though they have different personalities.

Kelsey was loud, outgoing, and funny. Grace was quiet, kind, and sweet, kind of like me. But somehow they ended up being best friends, I admired their friendship a lot, even though they had different personalities and interests they still respected each other. And they were both very nice girls. I leaned over to see Grace on the other side of Kelsey.

"Hey Grace." I said and she smiled back at me.

"Hey Caroline, how was your summer?" She asked.

"It was alright." I said truthfully and then asked her the same question back to be polite. Soon class started by our teacher taking role. It was weird not having my name called during the C's like before. Now I had to wait until the end of the alphabet for the S's.

"Caroline Swift?" The teacher called.

"Here." I said and both Grace and Kelsey looked over at me.

"Did you change your name?" Kelsey asked me in a whisper.

"I got adopted." I told them and Kelsey kind of looked at me with amazement.

"When was that?" Grace spoke up.

"Uhh.. Yesterday." I said.

"So before you weren't adopted, but you just lived with Taylor Swift?" Kelsey asked, cutting Grace off from what she was about to say.

"She was my foster mom, so after my dad died she adopted me." They both nodded

understandingly and I'm glad no questions were asked about my dad.

That period we didn't really do anything, everyone just talked. Kelsey, Grace, and I talked the entire period and I thought I might be making friends, but I didn't want to get my hopes up. They were being really nice to me and they both kept talking to me so...maybe? I would have to tell Taylor about this.

I had one more class with both Kelsey and Grace and then two more classes with just Grace. Even though Grace was more quiet she was still cool, she reminded me of me, I was never the person who could be the center of attention. I was always just quietly in the background and I was okay with that.

Her and I talked a lot that day, and I knew that if anything Grace was my friend. She was easy to get along with and easy to talk to. I just hoped she felt the same about me.

After school that day I got into Taylor's car with lots to tell her.

TAYLOR'S POV

"Hey girl." I said when Caroline got to my car after her first day of school. And that's when it all started.

"Oh my god, Taylor. Guess what!" She said as soon as the shut the car door. Before I even got the chance to answer her mouth started going 100 miles a minute telling me all about her day. I smiled seeing her so happy.

By the time we got back to the apartment she was still telling me about the friends she made.

"And they're both really nice, but I think I like Grace more because she's more like me." She said and then she was done talking.

"Whoa! Friends on the first day!" I finally got to say. I knew that Caroline's school day had been important to her today, after having no friends last year it must feel good to have met some on the first day this year.

"Do you want to go out for lunch?" I asked her while she was still in the room. It was only noon since the first day was a short day.

"Sure." Caroline said and slipped her shoes back on. I always enjoyed doing things with her on her good days. Because I usually spent her bad days trying to cheer her up. We were headed to Caroline's favorite restaurant and I was letting her drive my car.

She'd been practicing driving all summer and she was pretty good at it. All I had to give her were directions. We were getting close to the restaurant so I told Caroline to change lanes. As soon as she did a loud honk was heard from behind us. I whipped my head around to see the car much to close to our back bumper. My heart sped up for a second knowing that we almost got in a wreck.

"Caroline, did you even look?" I asked her and looked over to see her just as scared as I was.

"That car was right behind us, you could've hit it." I said before turning back around in my seat, watching the road in front of us. When we got to the next red light I looked over to see Caroline's eyes filled with tears. I sighed and thought about the fact that the cheery girl that I picked up from school earlier was also very fragile. And moods could change at the drop of a hat.

"Hey, it's okay." I said in a softer tone than before.

"You're doing fine." I said when the light turned green. That didn't stop a tear from slowly rolling down her cheek. I told her when to turn off of the road and where to park in the parking lot before I grabbed a Kleenex out of my purse for her. When we were parked she was looking at herself in the rear view mirror and wiping her eyes with the Kleenex.

I could see that she was trying her best to calm herself down. When she finally decided that she was ready to go in I leaned over both of our armrests and kissed her temple. She put on a normal cheery face on the way up to the door and it just reminded me of how good she was at hiding her emotions.

By the time we got our food she was back to normal and we were talking and having a good time. I was glad that this good day hadn't been turned into a bad day.