Chapter 13

Alexander stood on the terrace, glancing down at the line of clothes that decorated one corner of the yard. He could hear the subtle crunch of dead leaves underfoot in the back of his overacting mind. Nobody had questioned his actions before his unfaithfulness to Elizabeth. He heard the wind whistle in the distance. He wasn't staring at anything in particular, allowing the wind to cool his nerves. Something was bothering him; he didn't know what. Something didn't feel quite right as he heard the basin fill with water from the nearby stream. His mind wandered to the aqueduct system in Rome he had read during his time at King's College. He allowed his mind to wander to the engineering feats. Finally, at last, his thought process was cut short by his wife who had slid the door open. "Alex, you've been standing out there for God knows how long. Please come inside, you'll catch a cold."

Cocking his head back, his lips slowly turned upwards. Before he spoke, he considered her statement. Her words seemed resigned, impatient, flustered. Devoid of any concern at all. Gripping the bar of the terrace' fence, he began brisk push-ups. He allowed his mind to once again wander away from all responsibilities. He was certain news got around about his campaign. Jefferson or Madison's reactions would surely be in the paper. His arms dropped to his side.

"How could you stay with me? After everything?"

Eliza's reaction was a pleasant mixture of confusion and surprise. Her tongue darted out to moisten her lips. Crossing her arms, she stepped over the threshold, towards him. Uncrossing her arms, she placed them on his; faintly she could feel him tremble. "Alexander, I love you. You're not exactly perfect; nobody is. I love you."

She sighed. "Eliza, I know that. What I don't understand is-"

"Is what? Sure you immigrated from some place that doesn't matter, the Constitution-"

The paper I defended.

***

Do you ever feel that the entire world is against you? That there's nothing to do that would stop it? Stop the pain from ebbing into your very being? "Alexander?"

My eyes slowly eased open and she narrowed her eyes. Once again, I felt exposed. Every emotion bubbled within my chest threatening to escape in obnoxious, rapid sobs. "I saw him." I stated, my voice hoarse.

"Saw who?" Elizabeth inquired. "Angelica has mentioned you acted peculiar when you and her went to the public forum in my absence. She claimed you spoke of Phillip. Is it true?"

Briefly, words caught dead on my tongue, struggling to come out. An unsteady breath escaped my chest as I nodded. I expected Elizabeth to laugh at me, as though I were insane, but I knew otherwise.

Before a proper response could escape my throat, gunfire crackled in the distance. Grabbing Elizabeth, I gripped the butt of the pistol that clung to my waist in its holster. Locking the door, I led Elizabeth to Angelica's bedroom. Pained sobs shook the bedroom. I motioned Elizabeth to go to our shared bedroom. Apprehensively, she complied. Stroking the trigger, I eased the door open. I shouldn't have to fear my own fucking house. I cursed under my breath. Muffled wails came from within the bedroom. "Where is he?"

I heard the distinct sound of skin on skin, and not of the--pleasurable--variety. One of the men from the forum stood over Angelica whose face was bloodied. Her nose had blood trickling down to her upper lip. She stared at me through swollen eyelids. I stood, listening for the shuffling of Elizabeth. The man seemed to sense my presence and his back arched as his head fell backwards. His eyes were closed as if he was enjoying the very nature of Angelica's torment. Finally, the silence was shattered.

"Withdraw from the campaign." The sound of the pistol being cocked became apparent. I closed the bedroom door and locked it. By that action alone, the man eyed me curiously. I must have been begging for death to relieve me of my civic and personal duties for the man spun around and faced me, forgetting Angelica for the time being. I figured stalling him would be one of the better options. So, stepping further into the room, I raised my arms, illustrating the fact that I simply had a one shot pistol hanging from my belt. The man seemed to flinch at my subtle suggestion. However, his resolve didn't falter.