Chapter 8

I paced the office, my hands buried in my pockets. The officer had began to scrawl rushed words onto sheets of paper. Thoughts of Elizabeth and my kids ran through my mind. Aaron Burr had threatened my life, and now men and women alike were rioting. Another man attempted to eliminate me. The very tension from the public's thoughts of my candidacy ran through the quaint-now-turned-violent town. Through the milky glass window, I could see Elizabeth's lips moving. "Mister Hamilton," The officer stated blandly.

My head immediately snapped away from my wife and daughter to the incompetent man of whom I placed my complaint. The officer shook his head and said, "Is it probable that the engagement with Ms. Reynolds has infuriated the people?"

I gripped the back of the chair. My actions with Ms. Reynolds, although expected, did not increase the likelihood of the riots. I knew they did not encourage the actions of the civilians. I wasn't exactly one to become enraged by a simple inquiry and yet...The police officer was questioning me as though I had planned the violence against myself and my family. "What are you insinuating? That I am making this up? What did Elizabeth and my daughter say?"

The foolishness of screwing and taking funds from the Reynolds was moronic, immature even. I was desperate, needy, stupid even. "They said that you pulled a gun on them."

I blinked, heartbroken. I buried my hands further into my pockets, my knuckles turning white in screaming anger. "I would never-"

"You were a former veteran to the-"

"Continental army? Yes. I served alongside the first president of the United States, George Washington."

If the man were still alive, I wouldn't be at the mercy of other people believing me to be a monster.

"You also represented Associate Justice Samuel Chase in a treason trial as his defense counsel. Is it true that he endorsed you?"

"That is irrelevant to my own life being threatened, sir."

The officer returned to his pen, his head bowed. I walked towards the milky glass window and stared out. Elizabeth's head snapped up and a frown was placed on her lips. It was almost apologetic, sympathetic. Almost. I returned my attention to the police officer who handed me multiple papers and I hesitated as I read through them. Taking a seat across from the officer, I read through the papers. My complaint was filed but it was brief. Unusually so. Another was a divorce filing.

My head bowed as I lowered my gaze. Never in my life had I felt so much burning fury. I was beyond frustrated or angry. I was livid. The room began to slightly turn as my fingertips connected to the back of the chair, I hadn't realized I had returned to clenching. I tapped my foot against the wooden floor and asked, "What did my wife say to you? I never threatened her life."

"She said you had a gun and gave it to her. You then took it away when the gunman was in the room."

I immediately stood up and said, "Elizabeth may hate me for being unfaithful but I know she is the best thing to ever happen to me. I could have died! Is that what is wanted of me? To do more than just fade from the public eye?"

My chest rose and fell rapidly. The chair I had continued to grip clattered to the ground. Blinding me was an anger I didn't realize I even remotely possessed. Inhaling sharply, I closed my eyes, keeping my back to my vengeful wife. She could have been smirking, could have enjoyed the pain and frustration I was currently enduring. Hell, I may have deserved it. However, angry I felt, soon disappeared, my mind whirling of my past.

The cries of my sickly pale mother faintly echoed in the back of my head, the crashing of waves, the crash of thunder, the thuds of water droplets as they fell from light grey mundane clouds. Sure, my neighbors, people who I knew helped me escape the island of which I was born. I would never dare threaten a woman's life. Never dreamed to do such an act. The officer stood up and said, "If it's any consultation, if you run, you have the support of the police force. You served on the continental army. We as men donning badges understand your-" I was surprised to hear the consultation, not scolding. Perhaps the officer had a wife and children of his own. I hadn't noticed the ring on his finger but it was not beyond the realm of possibility.