Untitled Part 7

His children. The fact that he had ignored his family was more than just ignoring Elizabeth. Ignoring his kids had a similar weight to it, like a stone being dropped in a body of water. It was a sinking feeling. Elizabeth had stormed out of his office, his hand was dying but writing was an escape, a passion that nobody could take away. Yet, he was known to ignore reality. Glancing up, he saw his daughter, Angelica standing in the doorway, her head bowed, hands clasped. "Angelica?" His voice cracked. Immediately, her head rose meeting her father's eyes. "Why have you ignored us? We all thought you were dead."

Alexander raised an eyebrow, "Why would you assume I was no longer alive?"

Angelica shrugged and inquired, "May I come in or are you too busy?"

Alexander raised an eyebrow, concern appeared in his eyes, his lips curled downwards. Roiling and concerning emotions bubbled up within his chest. His kids felt abandoned, having been ignored by him. Or they're tired of Eliza. "I'm not busy."

A simple lie but Angelica walked in, closing the door with a click. "I heard what happened. What the hell?"

Alexander stood up. Angelica narrowed her eyes, crossing her arms. Defiantly. Angelica was really becoming disrespectful? A myriad of emotions boiled within Alexander. One remained prominent though. This young girl was unafraid to speak her mind. "I would be careful with your defiance, Angelica."
"Oh?" The simplicity of the argument was laughable. A 17 year old unafraid to approach their father and confront his actions. "The woman was twenty five. Mom is the best thing to ever happen to you. Sure you were a soldier, and damn well-respected one but I see nothing about you but your flaws. You knew about the duel and instead of persuading Philip against the duel, you supported it. You held his hand as the wounds took his life. Took away the eldest son. The spitting image of you."

Her fists flexed, her jaw was set. As if ready to throw a punch. Rather quickly, Alexander was on the other side of the desk, standing a head taller than his daughter. Her words clung to the air, tension filling the gap between them. Alexander couldn't disagree. Why would he? He was a brilliant genius and a ridiculous fool. Foolish for being unfaithful to his wife, a decision that was infeasible.

"Angelica, don't waste your breath. He's not worth it."

Elizabeth's voice cut through the tense air, like a rapier through the air. Angelica turned around, facing her mother. "Yet you stay with him."

Elizabeth laughed. "I didn't have much of a choice. I told you to let it go."

Angelica shook her head. Once again an illustration to her defiance. Alexander stood utterly fascinated and appalled that Elizabeth--no. Elizabeth wouldn't dare tarnish the relationship with his kids or lack thereof. "Elizabeth, don't scold her."

Alexander pinched the bridge of his nose, his eyes glistened with un-shed tears. The room seemed to spin and slowly close in on him. I should have died. I shouldn't be here and yet I am. "Don't?" Eliza's voice cut through the silence breaking him out of his trance-like stupor. The room no longer spun. "May I talk to you privately?" The question was not an implication of rage. Of agony. At first glance, Elizabeth wanted to object to his request of their daughter but by shaking her head, she exited his office. Locking the door from the other side of the threshold.

Angelica narrowed her eyes and scoffed. "What do you want to talk about?"

Alexander shrugged. "Doesn't matter. The fact that you think I'm some sort of monster-"

"I never said that."

Alexander shrugged. "You didn't have to. The fact that you think I was dead was enough to provide sufficient evidence."