Chapter 12: Read the Pizza

Thanks for the support on the last chap! If I manage I'll start scribbling down the Brandon/ Jade spin off :) Anyways, enjoy!

RNRRML (12)

“Alexis, what are you still doing there?” My father called out to me. I cranked my neck and realised that he was at the top of the stairs. A sudden light swept the entire room, illuminating everything. I squinted as my eyes adjusted but quickly shut closed the pizza box. The last thing I needed was my dad realising that the boys had managed to find a way to contact me through rather delicious, saucy, Italian and Hawaiian ways.

“Nothing, I just tipped the pizza guy.” I told him as I made my way to the kitchen and also out of his sight. I didn’t wait for a response, but I still stopped my quiet tiptoeing to make sure that my father hadn’t followed me. I heaved a sigh of relief when the lights from the corridor died out, leaving me in complete darkness. The house had fallen in complete silence. The only thing I could hear was my own breathing and my father’s steps fading into nothing. I switched on just enough light in the kitchen for me to be able to read the little post-it note, and eat the pizza of course. I grabbed a slice of the pizza, folded it in half vertically just like I was used to do and took a substantially mean bite out of it.

“Oh God, hot!” As the tomato and cheese hit my tongue like molten lava, I felt all six shades of hell consume me. I spit it out, and ran to the sink, holding my tongue out. I let the cold water run over my poor swollen tongue, mentally cursing myself for being so stupid.

I switched of the water and hesitantly; I took the post-it note in my hands. I wasn’t so sure if reading the note before I went to sleep was a good idea. If I knew one thing about the boys, it’s that there’s no telling what they’re up to. And I didn’t particularly feel like spending an entire night rolling in my bed, trying to get some sleep but unable to because of something the guys had written.

Well, here goes nothing, I thought as I squirmed my eyes, trying to decipher the miniscule words on the little piece of paper. I swear, the guys were trying to fit a whole essay on it.

Hey Alex, Zach here. Hope you enjoy Hawaiian pizza; it’s my favourite. Smart way to smuggle messages isn’t it. The guys are butting it to writing something so I’ll make this quick. I haven’t given up on my French maid fantasies so-

The handwriting changed from a scribble to a much more legible one which mainly consisted of block letters. I assumed to whom it belonged before I had even started reading.

Don’t mind him, Alex. After we left we all went straight to one of the best lawyers in New York who with your permission is going to dig up some stuff about your dad. Nasty stuff, if you know what I mean. Your father has been in this game for a really long time, and right now, he’s the one calling the shots, the only way for you to be able to escape is by blackmail. We’ll contact you tonight, hope to like Chinese.

That’s how the note ended. No message from Seth, nothing on his part. I refused to let it sting.

I scoffed. Liked? I loved Asian food. It was the food of the Gods. If my stomach could speak, it would beg me to eat Chinese every single day of my life. I sighed as I took a bite out of my Hawaiian pizza. It didn’t taste as heavenly as I had hoped it would now that the thought of Chinese food swirled in my mind.

I thought back to the plan. Blackmailing my father, now that’s something I’d want to see someone do. Watch the master get beat on his own game. I wasn’t stupid, my father may be an honest-to-God businessman, but every rich person had skeletons in his closet. Money in it’s self was dirty. America itself was built on the hard labour of people whom other people had exploited. Every single dollar was dirty money.