Chapter 18: Bitches and Awkward Situations.

RNRRML (18)

I was humming to myself to the song that was playing on my iPod as I flipped the burgers on the grill. After three hours of practice, the boys and I weren’t exactly in the mood for anything fancy, so we settled with fries and burgers on the barbeque. A wonderful aroma filled the air in the back porch, and as the sun set and painted the sky in all sorts of beautiful colours, from the fieriest red to the softest of baby pinks and mild purples, I couldn’t have felt more serene.

“Guys! The fries are ready.” Ian announced as he placed a bowl filled with fries at the centre of the table next to the bowl of chopped lettuce and tomatoes. I turned momentarily around and found the guys already digging in. I grimaced as the frying oil gleamed off the fries. I wasn’t a health freak at all, in fact I loved food and I openly admit that I eat it in gluttonous amounts. I should be thankful everyday for my quick digestive system as otherwise I’d probably be obese by now. But that didn’t mean that I didn’t try to cut back on unnecessary fat. But the boys didn’t seem to mind, so I let them dig in. Reprimanding them on it would have been useless anyways.

“Holy shit! That’s hot.” Zach muttered with a mouthful of fries. I rolled my eyes at him as Seth and Ian laughed at him like two retarded hyenas.

“Ian, do me a favour and man the grill for a moment.” Ian nodded through chuckles so I handed him the burger flipper and walked over there. I poured a glass of juice for him and handed it to him as he fanned his mouth. He downed the cup at once and placed his hands on his knees for support as he breathed hard.

“Well I’m never doing that again. Death by fries is no way to go.” Zach said as he helped himself with some more orange juice.

“Yeah, I should have told you that they were still too hot.” Ian said as he scratched the back of his head. “My bad.”

 He didn’t look as apologetic as I thought he should, but I let it slide. The boys tormented each other on a daily basis; it wasn’t something I could put a stop to. Just last week they had declared an unspoken prank war, and I would wake up in terror of what they would do to each other. In the end, Zach ended up with pink hair and he made me dye it back to his natural blond colour for him. Ian ended up going on a date with make up on and smelling like Hypnotic Poison after the Seth had emptied half a bottle of the perfume on him which he had taken from my room. It was one of my favourites but after what happened to Ian, I could barely stand the smell as five straight days had passed before the smell had worn off Ian completely.

The way Ian and Zach chose to prank Seth involved me more deeply than I would have ever allowed. Just remembering the way we ended up staring in each other’s eyes as he stood before me completely naked made my cheeks heat up and turn beetroot red. In fact, I haven’t been able to look him in the eyes since then.

It had been a regular Thursday evening. The only thing that could have alerted me that something was wrong was the silence. If I know something about the boys, it’s that they’re never quiet. In fact I don’t even think it’s in their vocabulary. If they’re not playing their instruments or practicing, they were either watching TV at an absurdly high sound or playing video games. Basically, silence means trouble so I should have known something was up.

I was bored and all I had to do was read. I thought that I was alone in the house so I took the liberty of lying down on the couch with a bowl of ice cream in my hands and The Fault in our Stars in another. It was an annoyingly hot day so I switched on the A.C.