Chapter 20: Jerry lays down the law

R N R R M L (20)

“Alex, you’ve made sure that you’ve cleared everything out of your room and bathroom, right?” Ian asked for the umpteenth time as his eyes swept over my room, making sure that I hadn’t overlooked anything.

“Yeah, I have, don’t worry.”

“Have you checked under the bed?”

“Yup.”

“In the shower?”

“Uh-huh”

“On the top shelves?”

I groaned at him, “Ian, for the love of the pizza god! I’ve triple checked my room, every crook and cranny of it. I’ve packed everything up, don’t worry.”

His lips curled up in a half smile, “I don’t know, Alex, you’re awfully midget-sized. I wouldn’t be surprised if you missed something that was too high for you.”

I punched his arm playfully with an involuntary smile on my lips. “Hey, fuck you. I’m not midget-sized; I’m vertically impaired if you want to be politically correct.”

He laughed it off and started rolling my luggage out of the house where our tour bus was waiting for us. It was time to say goodbye to sunny L.A, because Chasing Shadows was going to start the North American tour.

The prospect intrigued me and terrified me to the point of breathing with difficulty.  

However I was readying for the challenge. I craved it. Living a sheltered and protected life for the past eighteen years made me thirst for adventure and exploring new horizons which I'd never even given any thought to.

My gaze lingered for a few more seconds in the empty room. Despite telling Ian that I was wholeheartedly sure that I hadn't forgotten anything, the room held too many memories of one of the most beautiful periods of my life. I smiled, knowing that although I'd be leaving and that it would be unlikely that we'd ever live in the same house again, the memories I'd made with the guys here would remain locked in my heart, because they were too precious to lose. My gaze lingered more than it had any right to on the bed, specifically the outermost edge of the bed where a few days earlier I'd been left speechless by a boy who hadn't said more than a handful of words all week to me.

I've never been the type of girl who overthinks things, mostly because none of the things which I've ever concerned myself with required too much overthinking. Even my future had seemed pretty straight forward before joining the band. And to be honest, I didn't really mind the uncertainty about my future because I was resolved to live my life day by day and enjoy myself as much as I could.

It was the unbearable tension between Seth and I that was really driving me nuts. After the almost kiss, I had spent the most restless night I've ever had he misfortune to spend in my eighteen years. To say that I was frustrated was an understatement. Sleep had made itself evaded that night. I had been desperate to do something, anything! Part of me, a bolder part which I hadn't even known that it existed, wanted to go find him and slap him for taking the initiative of getting in my room and doing that, or better yet, the same side wanted to find him and finish what he'd started...