Chapter Two

"Make any new friends today?" My mom asked me this as soon as she openned the door and spotted me on the couch. I shook my head 'no' and faced my attention back to the television. I could hear her sigh, which was expected. Whenever I don't achieve what she hopes I will she gets so disappointed. I can't apologize for being the way I am though, how can I connect to people when I can't even remember the last time I had a friend. 

I walked to the island in the kitchen and sat while she made her own dinner, I had eaten a few hours ago. She already seemed stressed and it was only her first day. She cut up lettuce and seemed to avoid conversation so I decided to initiate it.

"How was work? You look tired."

"It was fine, I'm a little more interested to know how your day was. Kids weren't mean, right?" 

I shook my head. "Everyone was more focused on someone else, a boy came back to school today from jail." I could have slapped myself for telling my mom that, she would worry even more now.

"Oh christ," She groaned. "That's what I need, my daughter going to school with a criminal. Do you have any classes with him?"

"Lunch." 

"Oh, did you meet anyone at lunch? Who did you sit with?"

"No one." This wasn't a total lie because for the first ten minutes I was alone. 

"Sweetie, how can school be enjoyable when you have no friends? I promise if you let one person get to know you it could be so much better."

"I'll try." I agree, but I know it won't happen. Even if I tried to make a friend, they would have to like me back, and how could someone want to spend time with someone who can't remember fourteen years of their life.

She kissed my head and headed to her room with her dinner. I took my place back on the couch and stared at the ceiling for a long time, replaying me and Luke's conversation for the millionth time tonight. I know my mother would never approve of our friendship, but we aren't even friends, so for now I think it's safe to leave the lunch period in the dark. Who even says it will happen tomorrow? I walked up the steps and into my room, grabbing my suitcase of art supplies I kept under my bed. I knew I couldn't paint tonight, but I looked over my paintings, making adjustments if needed. Painting is such a good stress reliever for me. 

Waking up on this particular morning seemed harder than usual. I knew I should push myself to make friends like my mom said so I got up slightly earlier to make myself look a little nicer with some makeup. I chose to wear jeans even though last night I told myself I should wear a dress. When I looked in the mirror though I was pleased with my appearance more than the previous day and I grabbed my bag and sat at the kitchen table until my mom was ready to take me to school.

"So, are you going to try to talk to someone today, atleast?" She asked me as we pulled in front of the school. I nodded, and grabbed my bag. I went to hug my mother goodbye but she was staring out the window. "Holland, who is that?" 

I turned and someone was standing at my window waving at me. That person was Luke. "Just some boy I met yesterday." I tried to jump out of the car but she grabbed my arm.

"You didn't tell me you met a boy! Holland, that it great!" I gave her a small smile before pulling out of her grip and stepping out to a waiting Luke.

"Welcome to your second day of school, Holland. Are you ready for the grand tour?" I gave him a confused look so he would explain more. "I figure you need to know the best places in the school, so if you want, I could show you some decent places to spend time. Let me take your bag." He wasn't wearing a bag, and I tried to refuse but he took mine anyway. He began to walk so I followed and he openned the door leading inside. "You don't talk much, do you?"