17. The Things I want To Do To You

It was five in the morning and everything was quiet. Christmas had come and gone. Presents were opened, laughter shared and a new dream made its presence known in Richard's eyes as he watched his family together that Christmas. In this new dream, Farrah was there and was as much part of the family as he is. He knew it was crazy to be thinking things like this, but for once he actually was looking forward to this version of crazy.

The crazy of coming home to Farrah everyday. The crazy where instead of her being the first thing on his mind when he wakes up, that she's the first thing he sees when he wakes. The crazy of her being the last thing that he sees before falling asleep. To have her back in her arms, and this time without any restrictions.

As he stroked the buttery surface of the deep brown leather, Richard couldn't help but smile. It was the gift that Farrah gave him. A deep brown leather-bound journal, it was completely empty save for the small inscription inside, letterpress gold ink; for when your thoughts scream so loud, silence them. He Googled it wondering who's quote it could be and he came up with nothing. She wrote it herself, he mused. That was only one half of her gift to him.

The other half, was a beautiful champagne gold Montblanc Meisterstück Geometry Solitaire LeGrand Fountain pen. He had an idea of how much these pens go for, and the thought that Farrah had bought him such an expensive present made him frown. The journal he loved, the pen he just couldn't accept. And no matter how much he tried to return it, Farrah just wasn't having it. She had pretty much resulted to ignoring him. It had been days since he last got any word from her.

Putting the journal to his nose, Richard inhaled deeply. The rich smell of the leather and the smell of paper reminded him of his grandfather's office. He was the soft to his wife's harsh. After every reprimand, every strict word – his grandfather was always there for him with a loving pat on his back and to 'Chin up'.

The buzzing of an incoming message on his phone made Richard blink. With slow languid movements, he reached over for his phone and unlocked it. It was a message from Ben – Farrah is ill. Has been for the last three days.

So that's what happened to her, that was the real cause of her radio silence. Frowning, Richard typed out a message thanking Ben.

***

Farrah slammed the door the moment she glimpsed burnt orange hair and bright blue eyes. She could hear chuckling from the other side of the door and she released a deep sigh. Slowly opening the door, she groaned audibly as she took in Richard's cheeky smile.

"Well, don't you just look like the picture of good health," he said with a smile that made her take a step back. She knew how she looked; her nose was red and rubbed raw thanks to a runny nose, her face felt puffy and swollen. Even her voice wasn't spared; instead of that sexy rasp that most people managed, she sounded like she was talking from the bottom of the sea. And it hurt like a bitch.

"Are you going to let me in, or are you going to slam the door in my face again?" Richard's voice jolting her out of her daze. "I brought goodies," he said extending a paper cup that had Dishoom printed on it.

Gesturing him to enter, she took the cup from it and removed the lid. She put her nose above the vapours and inhaled, or at least tried to. Her nose was just way too congested so she tentatively took a sip and instantly felt her muscles relaxed. She groaned as her head started so clear fraction, "I really needed this."

"You should have told me earlier, love," Richard said standing behind her as he watched her pause as she was about to take a sip. She looked at him confused, her eyelashes fluttering as she blinked rapidly, trying to understand something.