15. Distracted

Richard saw Farrah take a step back and inhale deeply. As she exhaled she straightened her spine and he saw her smoothly slipping in her professional mode, plastering a smile on her face. If he had blinked he would have missed it as it happened so quickly.

"Shall we?" Farrah inquired calmly.

"Yes," Richard said gesturing towards Farrah to pass him. Richard stepped up to her matching her in strides. Outside the door to his study, he paused, looking at Farrah. Her head held high and proud, she looked like the definition of 'a woman on a mission'.

"Now, the usual rules apply. One to curtsy and two to call Phil 'Your Majesty' until he gives his permission to call you by his given name," Richard said.

"Got it," Farrah said calmly, as though all the nerves that were churning in her gut had miraculously disappeared.

Walking in to Richard's study, Farrah was struck by how different it was to his office. There were photos of his family, on the walls and shelves. Thick leather-bound books, that looked suspiciously like first editions, were arranged neatly on shelves. Stacks of papers and files were on the table. The only thing Farrah recognised from the office was his laptop, which was on the table. Blinking she saw that she wasn't alone in the room; King Phillip, Queen Catherine, Princess Victoria were seated at an alcove by the window. It looked like the perfect place to lounge and read that in her mind's eye she could see Richard there. As the three pairs of eyes turned towards her, Farrah sank into a curtsy as gracefully as she could and stood.

"Phillip, this is Miss Farrah Khan. Farrah, this is my eldest brother Phillip, his wife Catherine and my sister Victoria," Richard said making the introductions. He looked at his family and tried to read their expressions. He wanted so badly for them to love her.

"Miss Khan," Phillip spoke, in a deep and calm voice, "it's a pleasure to meet you."

"Thank you, Your Majesty. The pleasure is all mine," Farrah answered in a strong, unwavering voice.

It was a solid half hour of grilling that Farrah had to endure. Not only did Phillip and Victoria had questions to ask, even Catherine joined in. Richard watched as Farrah fielded all the questions beautifully. Not even once looking towards him asking for help, although truth be told, he missed the weight of her gaze on him as much as he missed looking into those warm brown eyes of hers.

Richard knew that his siblings were taken with by her wit and intelligence as they had all requested her to address them by name. It was a feat really, to have even Phillip do that. It reminded him of days long ago when he used to bring his friends home from school and the grilling they would endure from both his mother and Phillip. Smiling, his eyes locked on a brown papered parcel that looked so much like a present. Picking it up, he saw the card tucked underneath the candy cane.

A little something to keep you company in your solitude – F. Khan

Richard couldn't stop the smile that grew from his lips to his eyes, encompassing his whole face. Farrah had gotten him a Christmas gift. He couldn't care less what it was, but it was something he would treasure. As his fingers were about to unravel the yarn, he heard Farrah clearing her throat.

"That is for Christmas, Richard," she said trying to keep a straight face. The smile on his face was one of pure unadulterated joy, that she couldn't help herself but to smile.

"You got me a Christmas present," Richard stated with smile.

"Yes, I did," she said. She saw him once again about to open it and she quickly, stopped him by pushing the present away, "On Christmas please. Or at least wait until I leave." She suddenly felt embarrassed.

"Thank you," Richard whispered. "I love it."

"You don't even know what it is yet," Farrah said quietly.

"It's from you; I love it already."

Clearing her throat, Farrah moved away from Richard, putting some space between them. "Are they always like this?" She asked.

"My family? Yes. Always." Richard said, still joyous over the discovery of his present.

"Do you think it went well?" Farrah asked, nervousness leaking into her voice a little bit.

"It went absolutely fantastic," Richard said enthusiastically. "There haven't been that many people whom Phillip has allowed a first name basis with; ever since he became King."

"Why is that?" Farrah asked, still admiring the child-like joy sparkling in Richard's eyes.

"It's different for him. Phillip has an image, a reputation to live up to. It's harder for him to get friendly with people." He explained shrugging.

"Well, that was a piss poor explanation," Farrah said biting her lip to conceal her smile. "We'll talk about this another time; when you're not as distracted by presents."

"Present, Farrah," Richard corrected her as he watched her open the door. "Distracted by just your present."

Farrah stopped at the door and looked back at Richard as she bit her lip and shook her head at him.

The rest of the night went by in what seemed like a flash. It really is true; when you're having a good time, time itself seems to rush by. Farrah was having a really good time. Without realising it, it was nearing midnight. She looked for Charlie and Ben and found them cuddling in the study by the alcove. Knocking softly, she smiled at them, "I hate to interrupt but it's almost midnight."

"Shit is it really?" Charlie asked, scrabbling to check her phone.

"I'm sorry, I'll start getting the car ready," Ben said gruffly, as he attempted to straighten himself out.

"Ben, can I just talk to Charlie for a second?" Farrah said as she struggled to hide her smile.

"Yes, of course," Ben said leaving the both of them in the study.

"So...?" Farrah said, waiting for Charlie to say something.

Blushing, Charlie said, "I don't think I'm coming home tonight."

"Oh my God, Charlie! You're blushing!" Farrah couldn't help the guffaw slip through her lips.

"Shut up!" Charlie said, as she laughed along her best mate.

Just as they settled down there was a knock on the door. "Farrah, the car is waiting for you outside," Ben explained.

Smiling, she gave Charlie a hug goodbye and whispered, "Don't do anything I wouldn't do."

Snorting back a laugh Charlie whispered, "You do realise that means not to do anything at all, right?"

With a wink and a large smile of her face Farrah thanked Ben once again for going through the trouble to take her home. As she walked out saying goodbyes to everyone she met tonight, she couldn't find Richard. Disappointment bloomed in her chest. She tried to shake it off as she approached the car, the same black Range Rover that she came in. As Ben opened the door, she turned around and thanked him

Hesitating, she said, "And tell Richard good night."

Bending low, Ben said softly, "Perhaps you should tell him yourself," as he gestured towards the inside of the car."

Frowning, Farrah turned around to get into the car. As she looked up, she froze. Richard was in the car, waiting for her with a smile that was luminous. 

***

Another update y'all. I am really trying to catch up with the lack of updates. So here we are again.

As usual, show me the love. 

vote, comment, share!