Thirteen

I woke up and looked around then smiled as I saw the walls of my old bedroom then smelled the sweet scent of pancakes and bacon. I got up and saw Tiny sleeping on the floor then slid some shorts on and went downstairs to see dad at the table and Liane making breakfast.

"Good morning, Lina." I smiled and sat then she set a plate of food down for me that I quickly ate. Tiny whined next to me and I sighed as I fed him a piece of my bacon.

"That's it, no more." I said and he barked but I ignored him as I finished eating. When I was done, I went upstairs and figured I'd get dressed so I could get a job.

I went downstairs and clipped Tiny's leash on his collar then stood as I eyed my dad

"Dad, I'm running out. Need anything?"

"A hooker-"

"No, dad." I said and Liane laughed but waved me off. I smiled and left the house then walked Tiny down the main road of the small town I call home. Many people recognized me and told me I'd grown, I was gorgeous, all that. They even said Tiny was getting bigger and I had to agree. When I finally found a place that was hiring, I saw it was a local retail store that I've only ever seen here. I had come here as a little girl all the time.

"Mrs Peruviana?!" I called and the Indian woman came out of the back then stared at me.

"Evelina?!" She said and came over as Tiny obediently sat at my feet. She hugged me tightly then I held her and she pulled away to look at me.

"You're so beautiful now! I can't believe how you've grown! Oh, are you looking for a job?!" I nodded and she cheered.

"You're hired!"

"Mrs Peruviana-"

"Please, I've known you since before you stopped breast feeding. I trust you. And Tiny, you're the most loyal dog I've ever known! He's hired too." She said and I laughed then nodded and thanked her.

"My current image won't be a problem, will it?" I asked and she waved her hand.

"No, it won't be. This entire town knows and loves you, Evelina. You've done so much for us and even more for us after your mom and brother. I heard your dad also has cancer, I'm so sorry." I nodded and shrugged.

"It sucks ass, it really does, but he loves it. Liane is gorgeous so you know how dad is." She laughed and nodded then a little girl came in and her mother eyed me.

"Lina?! Lina Nilsson?!" I nodded and the woman smiled.

"You're so different! I hardly recognized you!" I laughed and Mrs Peruviana went to work since I was going to start tomorrow. Tiny and I went home then I let him off the leash and went to dad, hugging his neck.

"I love you, daddy." I whispered and he grabbed my arm then laid back on me.

"And I love you too, Lina. What's wrong, honey?" I shook my head and kissed his temple as silent tears fell.

"Nothing, I'm just remembering our life with Alec and mom." I said and he nodded as he held my arm tighter.

"As am I, my little one. They're both in a better place now." I nodded and brushed his few hairs back from his head.

"And soon you'll join them. I know you'll wait for me and when I show up, I want all of us to walk to heaven together." I whispered and he nodded then I kissed his head and stood.

"I'm going to unpack."

"Alright." He said and I went to my room then started unpacking it as Tiny laid in my bed but eventually, I started crying from my very emotional past few days. Tiny jumped down as I sunk to the floor then he ran to me and moved so he was under my arms, meaning I was hugging him now. I laughed into his fur then held him close as I sobbed into the white and brown tufts.

"I love you so much, Tiny. Please, don't ever leave me." I whispered and knew it was a futile wish. Everyone and thing has a time limit, we all clock out eventually.