Chapter Sixteen: Questions & Answers

Ducking around the corner of the Pack House, I lean my back against the wall as a group of females walk past laughing. None of them taking any notice of me or the few other teenagers hiding against the wall out of the way.

Once they pass I close my eyes for a brief second and breathe out a long breath of air. Re opening my eyes I push off from the wall and continue down the side of the Pack House until I reach the end were I move back into the rest of the Housing Area.

Glancing back at the Pack House I just catch sight of a body laying down on the roof, furrowing my brows I move further into the Housing Area before turning around and looking up again. Nate lies comfortably on the rooftop, his arms folded under his head; from here I can't tell if he's awake or sleeping.

Sighing under my breath I turn around and watch as Tommy slowly makes his way over toward me, his head down as he watches the grass in front of him. He freezes about a house length away from me and looks up. He doesn't meet my gaze as he nervously looks around before catching sight of whatever it is that has him turning around and quickly moving in the direction he came from.

I slowly look around trying to see if I can figure out what has him so frightened but I can't see anyone out of the ordinary until the Five Scottish Rogues - Five Scottish Pack Members walk into the space I'm standing in from between two houses. 

Isla walks hand in hand with Bonnie at the head of the group, their heads bent together as the quietly talk. Just behind them Finlay follows quietly, his head bent so he's walking the female's feet, his arms crossed over his chest. Ross walks into the space next and two seconds after him Lachlan appears, his gaze always taking in the surroundings but they focus longer on the direction Tommy disappeared. When he finished checking his surroundings he turns back to Ross and they start talking, but Lachlan moves further forward closer to Finlay as groups of other Pack Members start moving past.

I look back in the direction Tommy disappeared and then back to Lachlan instantly remembering the conversation we had had outside school that day about Lachlan being a Dominant.

"You are quite the observant type." A voice says from behind me.

I spin around and look up to meet a pair of copper brown eyes, eyes that look exactly like his older brothers.

"Considering you're not up there with my brother, I'm guessing you were trying to find someone else." Trick tilts his head to the side as he observes me.

"I was looking for someone else actually. I was looking for you." I say as I look past him to the roof of the Pack House were Nate is still lying, arms folded under his head.

"And why were you looking for me?" Trick asks as I meet his gaze again.

"I wanted to ask you some questions." I say as step back for a couple of kids as they run between us playing chasey.

Trick just looks at me for a silent minute, his copper brown eyes slowly running over me before meeting my eyes again. "Sure, what questions do you have?"

I quickly look up at Nate. "Questions about your brother."

Trick tenses slightly and turns to look up to the roof of the Pack House too. He stands like that for another minute just looking at his brother before releasing a long breath and turning back to me. "Fine. Ask away."

I stay quiet for a few seconds as I try to figure out how to word these questions but give up. "Is there something wrong with him?"

Trick narrows his eyes at me. "No, nothing is wrong with him."

I open my mouth and close it again. 

Trick looks back over his shoulder toward his brother. "That's what father tells me anyway." He turns back to me. 

I nod for him to continue.

"But I know something isn't right. He's always tired no matter how much sleep he gets, something has him concentrating on the inside twenty-four seven." Trick looks down at the ground.

I think about speaking but choose not to when I see Trick about to speak again.

"He never spends much time in wolf form and whenever he does he doesn't change back straight away. It always looks painful, like he's having an internal battle with himself." Trick sighs. "I don't know, my father promises me that he's alright. I just . . ."

I step forward and rest my hand reassuringly on his arm. "You just don't want to lose him."

Trick looks down at me.

"You're his brother; you're supposed to worry about him." I say as I watch Nate over Trick's shoulder finally sit up.

"It's hard when I know something isn't right but no one is willing to tell me anything." Trick sounds defeated.

I squeeze his arm. "Just keep an eye on him, maybe one day he'll tell you." I watch as Nate turns and looks down at his brother and I.

Trick nods. "I suppose."

I smile up at him. 

Trick returns it with a small one of his own.

"Your brothers awake by the way, I can't figure out whether he's glaring at us or not though." I say as I look back up toward Nate.

Trick looks over his shoulder then back at me. "Maybe you should go keep him company for a while."

I look at Trick in surprise. "Me?"

He nods. "I don't think I can do it at the moment."

I let go of his arm and wrap my arms around him pulling him into a hug. "You're a good brother Trick."

He rests his forehead on my shoulder. "You think so?" He whispers.

Leaning back I take his face gently between my hands. "I know so." I look straight into his eyes while I speak.

Trick nods.

Letting him go I look back up at the Pack House. "How do I get on the roof?"

Trick laughs, it sounds strained and tired. "Easy, come out on to the balcony on the top floor and climb onto the roof." He shrugs. "We used to do it all the time when we came to visit when we were younger, because we had no one to really play with." 

I just nod. "Okay." 

I walk past Trick toward the Pack House.

                                                             * * * * *

That was chapter 16, I enjoyed writing it, though it was a tad bit short for my liking. But I'll change it later once i start editing.

The chapter title is only temporary, if you can think of a better one let me know and i'll see if i like it and if i do i'll use it.

Anywho. Bye for now.

SoaringSpirit