Chapter Fourteen: Tracking

After spending yesterday with Kristin I was rather confident about today, even after she started to say something about Reyes but stopped at the last minute. I'm curious to find out what she was going to say but I think it was more; 'you'll find out tomorrow when you spend the day with him.'

When she said that shed have to use her ability for the next meeting she wasn't kidding. The guy who came in, no the guys who came in were pissed, they didn't want to be anywhere near each other. I was confused why to start with until it turned out that two of them were blood brothers while the other two were there half-brothers, and that it turned out that they blamed each other for the deaths of their parents.

Kristin was able, like she said, to navigate their tempers without too much anger. It was awkward though and rather heartbreaking to see people who are meant to be family hating each other because they blame each other for something none of them could stop.

It got me thinking about my messed up family.

But I had quickly shoved all those thoughts out of my head.

At the moment I'm standing near the hut were we were lead too by Blake and from patrol group when we returned from The Copper Eyes Pack after our few days there healing. I remember it as though I was only here yesterday digging in the boxes for a dress that would fit and hide as many scars as I could hide.

I've been waiting for Reyes for at least five minutes, but I found myself arriving early because I felt like I needed time to myself to prepare for whoever this man is.

A footstep outside the hut has my whirling around to stare at the entrance as a small boy, probably around ten or eleven comes in. He has short dark brown hair with one light brown eye the other dark brown. He looks at me immediately and grins. "Hi, I'm Graham." 

I can't help but smile back at him. "Hi Graham, it’s nice to meet you. I'm Amethyst."

He nods. "I know."

I look out the door behind him as another figure steps into the doorway. He's board shouldered with thick muscles and a dark tan. He meets my eyes straight away, his are black, but the light coming in through the windows allows me to catch the blue flecks in his left one. Black hair sits dishevelled on top his head with streaks of blonde running through it.

"I'm Reyes." He introduces himself.

Well, he’s defiantly a Dominant. My wolf mutters as she emerges from behind the wall.

Intimidating. I think back to her as I openly stare at Reyes.

Sure. She answers in boredom. Quit staring would you!

As soon as she says that I look away. "Sorry." I mutter under my breath.

Reyes doesn't say anything.

I look back toward him, my eyes drifting down to Graham. Who stare up at Reyes with awe and love.

Must be his son. My wolf thinks as she turns piercing silver eyes back toward the wall before yawning.

I ignore her as I focus upon the task at hand. "Alpha Justin said you’re the Pack Tracker." I say as my eyes meet Reyes once again.

He nods stiffly. 

I sigh. "So what are your abilities exactly?" 

Reyes narrows his eyes at me for a second before he relaxes. "My senses are enhanced, nothin' fancy." His voice is rough as though his throat is rough like sandpaper.

"Oh." Is all I think of saying.

"It's awesome." Graham beams up at Reyes.

Reyes ruffles his hair, the first show of affection I've seen since meeting them both. "Why don't you go and hide, like we talked about earlier."