Chapter Fifteen

Am I dreaming?

            “I-I don’t understand… Who are you?” I said quieter. “Where am I? Where are m-my friends?”

            “It doesn’t matter now. You’re safe from them. I’m going to take care of you. I’ve been watching you for a while and I am very glad you spent the night at your naïve friend’s house. I mean, who doesn’t lock their doors?” By the deep sounding of the entity’s voice, I believed it to be a man.

            “H-how am I safe? I-I… I don’t even know you! Why have you been watching me? Are you some sort of stalker? That’s creepy. Are you the one who texted me?” I asked the man that stood in the dark.

            He chuckled softly and seemed to pace back and forth in the dark part of the room. I could hear the smile in his voice. “Why, yes. I texted you. Who knew I would ever figure out how to work a phone? Anyway, I know that you’ve killed people.” He paused to let me gasp. He laughed this time. “It wasn’t that hard to figure out. I mean, when you went to court that day. I don’t know why the judge didn’t sentence you. Maybe he was smitten by your looks the way I am…” he trailed off.

            I just stared at the other side of the room.

            How could he know? Why didn’t he tell anyone?

            “I know what you’re thinking,” he said. “I don’t want or feel the need to tell anyone. I want you to be my… companion of sorts, you understand? Like I said before, I’ve been watching you. You’re a very smart and attractive girl. You don’t need to be with that boy. There is a party I want you to accompany me to. What do you say?” He grinned even wider.

            “What? Are you insane? You kidnap me and then think I’m going to go to some random party with you? You’re disgusting!” I shouted to him.

            “Well, I am very displeased by your answer but I knew it was coming. You’re very predictable, you know? I knew your ‘feelings’ would come back as soon as I told you I know that you’ve killed. Maybe you can do my dirty work for me. It’s so tiresome to do it myself. People are rather annoying when they know they’re about to die. I wish they would just shut up and let me finish the job. You know how I feel, don’t you?”

            “No, of course not! I’m not a-a…” I stopped short.

            He laughed loudly. “Not what? A monster? Of course you are, my dear. We’re the same. You’re just not out with your feelings yet. You’ve never had anyone to talk to about them. You know you love the feeling. It’s quite exhilarating, isn’t it? Also, I would absolutely love to watch you work! I think it would be so fascinating.”

            Am I a monster? I never… I never wanted to hurt them… Did I? I-I… I don’t want to be like him. He is disgusting! I am not like him! I am way better! I picked people who were mean to me! He probably just kills any random person off the street. He’ll probably kill me too since he’s such a psychopath.

            He came a little closer and I had the chance to get a look at him. Do I know him? He doesn’t look familiar… “Now, I’ve arranged a dress for you. I think it will show you off in the best ways!” He touched my shoulder. “But, remember, if you try to run, it won’t work; I’m sure you already know this. It will be easy for me to tell the police of your naughtiness and we don’t want you to wind up in prison, now do we?” He kissed my cheek and I shuddered. He frowned but only for a minute. “Don’t worry, dear. You’ll come to like my kisses soon.”